Who Made Early Radios For American Railroads?

Hi Gauger's:

As most of you know, I am a Ham Radio Operator. So, my other interest is radio. I would like to know who made the early radios for the American Railroads? Here's another radio question. I have a DVD of The Rock Island. It sounds like they used no radios in the '50's and 60's. Why not? :confused: Any pictures of these radios too?

Thanks,
Andy :wave:

An Email

I recieved an email from a fellow Ham. I am going to share with my Gauge Friends. :thumb: :thumb:

HI Andy

I found your question about old railroad radios on one of the forum pages.

there was a company called Farnsworth that made radios that the Erie Lackawanna used on their trains. These units were made in a rack configuration that could be changed out in a matter of a few seconds.

they were in three sections: transmit Rec and power supply. I am not sure but it sticks in my mind that they had about 40 watts out. the rack for these were about 30" wide and each piece was heavy for all the tubes. I am talking about these being in service in the early 60's.

The local ham radio club in Allegany Co in upstate New York had many of these converted to work on the 2 meter ham band.
They were invited to The Erie yard in Hornell NY and took their pick from a whole caboose load.

I have done some searching over the years and have not found any pictures yet.

Hope this helps with a little bit of rail history.

John Lockwood
N2OLA