Who had out of the box problems with the O's?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Renovo PPR, Dec 31, 2006.

1. blagoiss

blagoiss New Member

that's what I was thinking. especially since I have the extra money.
  2. blagoiss

blagoiss New Member

I went and got the penn set and it works. The only problem I'm having is I can't get the loco to smoke very well. I also have the union pacific starter set and it is smoking really good. I thought I would have issues the other way around. I have all the rolling stock from both sets hooked up to it. I thought that the union pacific would be smoking less because I've read where the more you pull the more smoke you will get. But, the bigger engine which would be able to pull more anyway is smoking more. Any suggestions? Yes, Ihave put in a few drops of smoke oil. I didn't want to overdue it though. thanks.
  3. Geno

Geno Member

Lionel smoke units are not known for being very good- try blowing into the stack first. If no smoke comes out, don't add more fluid, you'll just get the wick soaked. You may have to let it dry out a little- just keep running it and it will eventually smoke. When it does ,only add 2-3 small drops when you notice the smoke starting to lessen.

Geno
  4. Geno

Geno Member

duplicate-sorry!
  5. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

I've read somewhere else in here that someone was having problems with little or no smoke from their engine. After a few runs, it seemed to work it's self out and started smoking on it's own. Maybe it just takes time for the smokers to get broke in? :confused:
  6. Geno

Geno Member

duplicate- sorry!
  7. Cannonball

Wow.... you and those other two Genos think a lot alike. sign1
  8. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

The PF set is a nice set and I bought that for my older daughter just this Christmas. I'm not up to date on the UP locomotive, is it the same type of locomotive?

In my experience the CW 80 just doesn't give enough power to make most locomotives smoke the way we would like them too. Even with a full load of rolling stock some locomotives still will not give that great smoke with the CW 80 which comes standard in the PF and PE sets.

It is not the fault of the CW 80, that transformer is what it is. I have much better results with the PF when it is operated by my MTH 1000 transformer, but that is 100 watts. Too bad Lionel doesn't make a new 100 watt transformer.
  9. Geno

Geno Member

The CW-80 generates 18v, enough to make any Lionel smoke unit work. The problem is the smoke units themselves- Lionel units are not that great in general. Try an MTH engine and you'll see the difference.

Once in a while the smoke units in my Lionel diesels will work great, but only after running them for hours in command mode (18v).

Geno
  10. Cannonball

Stop talking about those!
    I already want one bad enough and my wife is starting to raise her eyebrows at the money I'm spending. :eek:
    :D
  11. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

:D Feel the power! :D

I'll tell you what if I have a good spring I'll send one. Just hope the price of beef goes up over the next few months. Yeah I raise beef cattle. :)
  12. Cannonball

So do my folks.
    Nothing better than Iowa cornfed beef. (insert drool smilie here) :D
  13. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Try contacting Walter M. Matuch at Ready Made Toys. He stands behind his product and will be more than happy to straighten out your problem. I have an old Williams Beep shell, late 50's or early 60's but no drive. He was more than willing to sell me a chassis to use under my shell. Here is the web page address.
    http://readymadetoys.stores.yahoo.net/index.html
    I couldn't find my e mail address for Walter but you can e mail him through the web page. Some times there's a lemon in the bunch.:rolleyes:

Greg Elems
  14. blagoiss

blagoiss New Member

I finally got the penn to smoke more. I actually added more smoke oil. It's smoking pretty good now. As much complaining as I see about lionel locos smoking or lack thereof, I think it's pretty good. I don't think I would want a ton of smoke or you couldn't breathe after long. The loco in the union pacific set is awesome it has railsounds so you have all the sounds of chuffing, crew talk. I love it. I am so excited about this thing. It is a 2-8-4 berkshire. I think. I am certainly no expert on this. Just think how psyched I'll be when I get something I really want.
  15. Cannonball

How could you not be psyched about a Burk? ;)

what do you really want? :confused:
  16. blagoiss

blagoiss New Member

Oh, I'm pretty psyched about it. But, what I really want is the Chesapeake & OHio Allegheney. It's gonna take me a couple months to save for that though. I really didn't have my eye on a UP set, but it was on sale and it was the budget I had for the moment and the sale was ending that day. So I got it and when I took the locomotive out, I was like, WOW!! I didn't know it was gonna be that cool.