While Out Nosing Around Sunday..

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
What do I come across on this chilly and damp day but the folllowing.

Attachments

• Picture-009.jpg
    Picture-009.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 148
  • Picture-011.jpg
    Picture-011.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 148
  • Picture-012.jpg
    Picture-012.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 152

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Thanks guys... I thought that's what it might be. Now my next silly question....

Is it a good idea to be making huge amounts of hot sparks with three petroleum tankers in tow (or do they leave them behind when grinding)?

Andrew

who_dat73

Jan 18, 2005
Minnesota
I talked to the guys when I caught them in town and most of the tanks are water to wet the rails for grinding its kinda a neat opperation

who_dat73

Jan 18, 2005
Minnesota
For the life of me I cant rember how much they said it would cost to replace a mile of rail but if memory serves me right I think it saves $6000 per mile if they just grind the heads down a few times before replacing them!! Dont Quote me on that it wasd about a year ago that I talked to them. Just a tidbit of info thought might be of intrest
Mike

Dave Flinn said:
Now the trick is to catch them at work, especiallly at dusk. The sparks are spectacular.

Ask and ye shall receive. Here is a shot I found several years ago. Photo and photog info included.

Photographer: Richard Nimtz
Description:
Railroad Rail Grinder working on the Conrail Tracks near Leer Street in South Bend, Indiana. The picture was taken at dusk. A time exposure. January 1994

rgrinder.jpg