Which space should I pick?

shamus

Registered Member
I would go for the 33' by 8'8" but remember, you have to be able to reach everwhere, do you intend to have a hole in the middle?

Shamus
wink.gif

Tyson Rayles

Val have you considered starting with a small layout (4X8, 4X12, 2X8 or whatever) that you can add on to as you get a better idea of how to use the space? BTW you know n-scale is the only way to go :D don't you? :)

Vic

Man!! I love these basement tours!!!:D :D I see lots of stuff for eBay!!!:D :D Glad to know that I'm not the only one who is afflicted by the dreaded "save-itis"!!!! 50 years worth here!!!:eek: :D and that's not counting the stuff my 96 year old Mom has been saving!!!!

Seriously though, shove some of that stuff off in a corner...you'll be surprized at how many more ideas you can get when you look at an empty space :)

I promised Casey I wouldn't say this anymore but....just 5 cents worth from the world's worst packrat!!!!:D :D :D

TR-Flyer

Hi:
If you're having trouble visualizing how it all fits in the space, I would suggest that you clean out the area. E bay is a good idea but the Salvation Army works for me. Then take some masking tape and lay out the table on the floor. You can then take other masking tape and lay out some of the trackage if it will help you to visualize the space and how the difference views would fit into your basement.

Building codes require 3-feet clear in front of an electrical panel. Leave 3-4 feet in front of the furnace. A shop vac will take care of the dust.

The masking tape trick has saved my back a lot of work over the years when we have moved into a new home. I only have to move the sofa one time after my wife and kids and i have "sat" on the masking tape "sofa" in two or three different positions in the new living room.

Also, if it looks too big, why not just start with your left end, the 4x 8 and get it running and then work your way down the rest of the layout. Think of it as your own version of the "great westward expansion".
Regards,
Ted

spitfire

Thanks guys!

Shamus, I wasn't planning on a hole in the middle...unless of course it's an around-the-walls type thing.

Tyson, I am definitely going to do a section at a time for so many reasons. One main one is my lack of experience. Don't want to commit to one huge mistake, say in track-laying. Prefer many smaller ones!! Then there's the $$...

Vic, I know, all that STUFF!!! I am going to move it off into a corner, and that's the first decision - which corner. Sounds like the consensus is to take the long, narrow portion for the layout and put the junk, I mean priceless artifacts, into the bottom part of the floorplan.

Ted, that's a great idea about the masking tape! I'm not so sure I like your other idea though, the one that has to do with cleaning everything out! ;) Sounds suspiciously like work to me.

And I'm also going to have to slap up some drywall on that cinder block too. Uhg - how I hate, loathe and detest drywall sanding!!!!!!

Anyway, thanks for all the great input and helpful suggestions. The next thing I need to do is a trackplan for the switching section and the trolley run section (2 "modules") and worry about looping the mainline later.

cheers
:D Val

Pooh Bah
Val:
while you're drywalling, put up a ceiling. That will keep the layout cleaner than anything else you can do for the same effort. It will also be brighter (if you keep it white.)
I've suggested somewhere else that one start with 2 ends, with loops on them, and move one out as you build the bits in between. Kind of like modules.
Get Linn Westcott's book on benchwork -- the library should have it if the hobby shop doesn't.

aartwmich

Oooooooooooooooo Val!!! You're gonna have fun girl!!! I dont know what software you're drawing your layout in, or if you can move things after you draw them(CADD has spoiled me) but I would draw in those shelves that you want to keep and move them around to see how they fit best.

I try to draw everything thats going to have to fit in a space first. Course if you can't draw and move stuff like CADD the masking tape is a second best, or even pieces of cardboard or boxes as a mockup.

Have fun..take your time..its going to be awesome!

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
I like Bill Stone's suggestion Val with around the wall and a duck under to get in. This would allow moving up radius to 24inches or more and also reduces the width. I find 24 inches max for comfortable reach.

billk

About shelf width - limiting it to your "comfortable reach" - be it 24 in or 30 in or whatever - is not really necessary. You can make it wider, just make sure there is nothing that you will normally be reaching for in the extra inches. Use it for scenery purposes only, for example, which helps to eliminate the landscaping problem of having your tracks only an inch or so from the edge of the layout. Granted it will be a stretch while you are doing the landscaping. You just have to not give in to the temptation of using it for track!

Mike R

Just another approach, that I happen to use myself:
I have a fairly large quantity of Dexion steel storage shelving too, but use it as the actual underframe for the benchwork. I cut the steel posts off at 42", and installed the open grid benchwork on top of it. It's extremely strong, and has cost me no storage space at all, it's just spread out more...it's under 85% of the layout.
I favor a walk-in design. Around the walls I use 12",15" or 18" shelves.
Under the centre 'peninsula" I use 18" or 24" shelves back-to-back, or even end-ways.
It's a way to gain greater space. Dexion building is like a giant Meccano set...almost a hobby in itself. Regards / Mike

jon-monon

Re: Thanks guys!

Originally posted by spitfire

Vic, I know, all that STUFF!!! I am going to move it off into a corner, and that's the first decision - which corner. Sounds like the consensus is to take the long, narrow portion for the layout and put the junk, I mean priceless artifacts, into the bottom part of the floorplan.

When it's your stuff, it's stuff. When it's someone els's stuff it's shit. - George Carlin

spitfire

I've created a monster

Drywall and ceiling and lights - oh my! There goes my modelling budget.:(

It occurs to me that having the space, and filling the space, are two very different things. I'm comfortable with building a stud wall to separate storage from modelling (done lots of those over the years). I'm also okay with the notion of stapling some plastic over the joists above to cut down on dust. I have seen layouts where the overhead lighting was hidden behind a valence that follows the layout, and would love to have something similar, but the money and labour involved are beyond my current means. Also, this is not even my house (it's my elderly mother's) and so it's not a permanent arrangement.

I think it's time to come back to reality. Stay tuned......

:rolleyes: Val

Gary Pfeil

Val, The drywall and ceiling are good suggestions, but not required. I did neither. There is a photo in the thread "Thought behind the planning of the JGL" which shows the light fixtures above my layout. I bought cheap 4' flourescent fixtures at Home Depot (I think 7 or 8$ for two tube fixture), screwed them to the ceiling and made light panels from 1x4 which I ripped into 4 pcs of roughly 3/4 x 3/4. Using triangular gussets cut from masonite to connect corners, I built rectangular frames to which I glued white butcher paper. I then used some angles to hang an aluminum angle from the ceiling below the lights and they hold the panels. This was a cheap way to go, and I think they look ok. Check the pictureout, I know the description is confusing. For the walls, fasten some lathe to the wall and mount masonite for a backdrop to it, from the top of the benchwork to the ceiling. I too was in no position to build a nicely finished room to house my layout. While nice, it is a luxury I chose not to afford!

Gary

Vic

Hi Val, I'm staying tuned!!:D :D :D

I think that most of us do think in the terms of permanant space.

Shouldn't be a problem though.....just build the big layout in modules ( it won't be any more work). That way if you have to go to new quarters then you can take it with you. If you stay in your present location and decided you want to finish the trainroom off then you can just take it apart...do your finishing and then put it back together again.:)

spitfire

Originally posted by Gary Pfeil
Val, The drywall and ceiling are good suggestions, but not required. I did neither.

Gary, I like your thinking!!!

Mike, yes Dexion is exactly like giant Mecanno - wonder how many people nowadays remember that stuff. Remember how the little nuts would always work their way off the bolts and get lost?

Robin, I've given up on the continuous run for the trains, and now everything has fallen into place in my head.

Aartwmich, hey girlfriend, fun is where it's at. I'm using Adobe Illustrator to plan this out. It works for me. 1 mm = 1 inch.

Okay, thanks for standing by. Here is my new and improved, still ambitious but not insurmountable layout:

cheers

Attachments

• floor plan final copy.jpg
    floor plan final copy.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 127

jon-monon

Like what you've done with the place, Val :) Curiose: why do you want to block the view, instead of have the city naturally end and turn into country?

spitfire

Originally posted by jon-monon
Like what you've done with the place, Val :) Curiose: why do you want to block the view, instead of have the city naturally end and turn into country?

Well, it's because I want the train coming out of a mountain tunnel and going over a steep gorge. We don't have any mountains here in Toronto, and I'm still kind of hung up on that prototype. Also, I want to pretend that it's very far away from the city, and it seemed the best way to achieve that effect.

cheers

interurban

trolly plan

Hi Val here is one of my plans for a little trolly run around whitch
can be modified to fit any length

Just an idea for you to play around with when you are ready .:D

Attachments

• trolloy town.jpg
    trolloy town.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 91