• I like my backdrops bought from the local hobby shop

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't use backdrops.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

darkcurves

Feb 5, 2007
Hmm, i'm not really into backdrops but i do like the one where there's alot of clouds in a clear sky.

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Here's a pic showing part of mine.

cld1.jpg

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
Yes. :p

I'm a big fan of backdrops, period. Whether they're painted or purchased, they add so much depth to a MRR scene. Much better looking than bare wall (or studs, or bricks, or junk!)

These photo-printed backdrops by SceniKing actually work pretty well. My friend has them on his layout, and they look pretty good. I'll try to get some pics.

CCT70

Jun 25, 2003
*To me*, nothing looks more realistic to my eyes for a backdrop than an actual photo.

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
Don't use em cause I'm not that far.....sign1 .

I'm not much of a painter:eek:ops: ......but my sister is:thumb: .....wonder how much I'm going to have to bribe her to do some for me when I get that far:wave: .

Ricktrain97

nolatron

Nov 17, 2004
Katy, TX
railroad.sodh.net
I've been thinking about using a photo backdrop from my upcoming layout. At least in the city area to have some "stuff" in the background besides just a clear blue sky.

The mountain-like area will probably be just a painted backdrop.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
Here's a couple of pics of the SceniKing backdrops on my friend's shelf layout:

pjh1.jpg

pjh2.jpg

He goofed a bit when he installed it. It comes as seperately printed sheets, and instead of trimming the borders off and butting them, he left a border on one side and lapped them. That's what those vertical lines are. If you don't lap them, and paste them flat on the backdrop, the seams are invisible.

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
I haven't voted in the poll because there's no "choice E: A, B & C" category. The best I've seen have been combinations of a painted sky with printed structures and/or photos applied to that.

Personally, I've used a painted backdrop, but wasn't all that satisfied with it as the layout height was too low and the backdrop was interupted by windows.

I do want to mention a thought relative to the poll, that of freestanding backdrops on island-style layouts. In planning a small layout I have often considered using a backdrop down the middle lengthwise to effectively separate the layout into two scenes, which, because of the backdrop, can be visually very different, e.g. city on one side and country on the other.

But my wife, whose artistic opinion I do value (yet not always agree with...) has a strong dislike of the 'sky wall'. We've had some good conversations as I've tried to understand what it is exactly that she dislikes about these freestanding backdrops. Of all the photos I've shown her (not closeups, but where the layout itself is shown with fascia, backdrop, etc.) she has yet to find one where the backdrop is acceptable. Even those along the walls. Anybody else feel this way? (or have a spouse that does?)

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
Oh, and for my existing layouts, the timesaver is along a wall which will receive a sky backdrop and possibly distant mountains. The 4x6 (follow the link in the signature) will have a scenic ridge down the middle to divide the layout - the trackwork is at about 52" high so that helps the effectiveness of even a low hill acting as a divider/backdrop for the foreground scenes. And I did paint a sky with puffy clouds on canvas (no frame) to use in photos of the timesaver back when it was located in the middle of a room. I could position it on either side (or just turn the layout around) for a variety of shots.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
bob_suruncle said:
I think the guy that installed that backdrop did a superb job Squidbait.... and if its the same guy who built the mill complex and weathered the flat car in the foreground he must be a master model builder or something :rolleyes: hehe

Yeah,, he did an alright job... but he has issues with following the directions (just look how that mill annex turned out!) and modesty... :p

RioGrande

Jun 10, 2004
Doug Tasold went to Colorado and took pictures in Denver and on the Front Range of the Rockies that he made into poster prints. He uses them as backdrops and it looks awesome. I don't think anything as ever looked better than poster prints properly scaled and used.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
That's essentially what the SceniKing backdrops are. He goes around North America, shoots landscapes with his digital camera, and then photoshops them into huge poster prints. Sectional ones, but 4-8' long.

One thing I will say about backdrop photos is that theres' really only one good viewing angle - straight on. If there's anything other than scenery in them, they look a little strange when viewed from an angle. See the difference in my pics? The buildings look "flat" in the angle shot. Building "flats" placed in front of the backdrop can offset this a little bit.

RioGrande

Jun 10, 2004
Hmm... not sure about the viewing angle thing, but all the pictures I saw of several different layouts with photo back drops looked sweet. I don't think all were straight on shots but I could be wrong. Some were room shots taken from a distance so you got a sense of what it would look like if you were really there.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Well, I couldn't vote because I do both 1 and 2. I like to paint my backdrops and do the clouds using Gavin Miller's technique (spray stencils). And then I like to print out buildings and glue them on here and there.

I think pre-printed backdrops are fantastic, nothing is more realistic looking, but they do get pricey for a larger layout.

Val