Which DCC Cab?

Whistleblower

I'm about to take the plunge into DCC. I like the design of the NCE ProCab, with its center thumbwheel - it appears that speed, direction, bell and horn all can be operated with one hand, as opposed to Digitrax and others where you have to hold the (400) cab in one hand and turn the dials with the other. I also like NCE's "yard mode", where both direction and speed is controlled by the single rheostat. But I'm a bit worried by how dominant Soundtrax is in the marketplace; I note that several large shops, like Loy's Toys and also Allied Hobbies in L.A. (my "local" mecca for the hobby) have gone exclusively with Digitrax.

I'd love to hear from those of you that have chosen NCE: -- any regrets, or lack thereof? And others too, of course. In this case where a lot of money is at stake, I'm trying to make the right decision the first time!!

Thanks in advance for your feedback. Robert a.k.a. Whistleblower

CalFlash

Digitrax is and may well remain the dominent leader in terms of dealers etc. However I think NCE is a strong 2nd and has a strong following. Unless you plan to buy from a LHS, the fact that they only carry Digitrax shouldn't make a difference. Knowing Drucker's (Allied) from my days in southern CA, I suspect they know their product well. That is not always true as many shops who sell DCC aren't necessarily well versed in it - they just sell it. Some of the better internet/mail order shops (like Tony's http://tonystrains.com/ and Litchfiled Station http://www.litchfieldstation.com/ actually specialize in DCC and can give you excellent advice and support.

All this said, I bought NCE because I liked it best and a lot of my friends have it (even though they're back in Calif and I'm in Florida). In your case you MIGHT want to consider what your friends use (assuming they're happy with it) so you can take your throttles back and forth when visiting/running on each others' layouts

Alan B

Digitrax is a favorite of the hobby stores because of their business model. Digitrax has so far refused to upgrade any set. This sends DCC buyers back to the store to buy a new set when new features are rolled out. Lenz (which builds the Prodigy Advance, Bachmann EZ-Command and Atlas Commander as well as their own products) has always rolled out upgrades when new features are available. Whether MRC, Bachmann or Atlas will participate is another matter. Lenz is the better choice for the individual. Digitrax is the better choice for the store. You decide.

CalFlash

NCE has just added features and extended the capabilities and ease of use of their system. The "upgrade" to their existing Pro5 system is via a new EPROM and they are only charging existing registered owners $5 ($20 if you want a new manual also). Find that kind of support from anyone in ANY industry!

CalFlash said:
they are only charging existing registered owners $5 ($20 if you want a new manual also). Find that kind of support from anyone in ANY industry!
Actually, it's FREE, the $5 is to cover S&H, and $15 for an all new manual, otherwise you just get inserts for the old one.

CalFlash

SteamerFan said:
Actually, it's FREE, the $5 is to cover S&H, and $15 for an all new manual, otherwise you just get inserts for the old one.
You're quite correct. Somehow I never sent my registration card in but found it last minute and sent it in. I recieved the card to order the upgrade but was a "late entry" so probably won't see mine for awhile. No big problem as the layout is far from done and the only reason the system is hooked up to it is to test as I go. Still, I'm excited about the changes.

CN1

I like NCe but will get the MRC Prodigy Advance. The cab is excatly what I'm looking for and it is also cheaper $$$/ There's room for software upgrade too.