Which color for the roof.

jkristia

By now you are probably tired of reading about my problems with the scratch build attempt, but
I hope you will bear with me and help me one more time.
This time my problem is which color to use for the roof of this building.
It can't be browns since the trim will be same brown as the trim work on the walls (Polly Scale Bldg Brown),
so I would like to have it a lighter shade of brown, but I tried to mix white with a bit of brown in it, but didn't really like the color (tried it on a piece of scrap styrene). Then I tried light green, but....

Any suggestions?, why is it so damn hard to find the right color :(

Also, If I do paint it and then decide that I don't like the color, how do I strip the paint?, should I just leave it in 90% alcohol for 10 minutes and then remove it with an old toothbrush, or how do you do it?

Again, appreciate your help.

Attachments

• img_3769.jpg
    img_3769.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 137
  • img_3769.jpg
    img_3769.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 136

jim currie

try a mix of weathered black with a touch of silver or graphite and black. a lot of old wood shingles were painted to preserve them and to keep them water tight.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Good looking scratch build. I'm still experimenting building kits and painting them different colors and am inspired every time I see a scratchbuilt project here. I think the color and texture will depend on the "material" the roof is made out of and the era is represents. IF the roof is wood shingles, then a dark brown is not out of the question, possibly a bit on the red side. It could be flat tile and be red,r green, tan or even white. I've used both silver and copper acrylic on different structures. I used it on a couple of different projects and I think it turned out good.

Just be sure to do an ink wash over it regardless of what color you use.

Don

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
I wouldn't try to remove paint once on Jesper. If you do need to re-paint just paint over. It may take a couple of coats but that sure beats trying to strip it down.

RailRon

This is really a beautiful station, Jesper!

If it's a shingle roof (looks like that to me), how about grey? I noted that often shingles turn a silvery medium grey after a few years. However this depends strongly on the climate, sort of wood used and probably even air pollution. An alternative surely is the dark shingle version like Don suggested - probably more in a dry climate.

If you go for grey, try a wash of a medium grey with very few drops of silver or gunmetal added. If the result doesn't put you off, add another or even more washes until you're contended with the result. If not, just paint a different color over it. Robin is right, forget about stripping the 'wrong' color down.

And then, as Don already said, don't forget to add a grimy ink wash over your roof. The roofs of all railroad buildings are covered with lots of soot, both from steam locos and diesels!

Ron

Russ Bellinis

I just looked back at your original post and went to the prototype. It looks like the roof was done with grey composition shingles. It looks like S.P. grey might be close.