which centerline car?

Cactus

Aug 27, 2001
Maryland
Visit site
Hi.

I know that opinions are as personal as a toothbrush, but I'll ask for one anyway.

For n-scale, Centerline products makes two versions of its track-cleaning car. One is brass for about $70, one is diecast for about $45.

My question: What's the advantage of the brass over the diecast? Does one clean track better than the other?

Thanks, Bill

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
I don't know - what do you think?
(Cactus - sorry about that, obviously Rory and I don't have a clue and also have too much time on our hands.)
BillK

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi Cactus!
I don't know much about track-cleaning cars either, but I would think weight might be an important consideration. More weight might translate into better cleaning ability. If possible, compare the weight of the two cars, & go with the heavier onme.

C

Catt

Billk you forgot the couplers.How the heck you gonna move that thing?

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Now that we've got that out of our system, here's a cut'n'paste from the Bachmann board that might be of interest:

Two types we have found successful here. One is the Centerline Products car. Rather pricey, but works well with Goo Gone. Has a free-floating brass roller wrapped in a towel-like strip, rides in a very heavy car. The other is the old John Allen design--a piece of Masonite rough-side down with a couple of nails glued to the top, running in holes in the bottom of a car. Cheap to make, can use several. There were always several running all the time on the G&D.

Cactus

Aug 27, 2001
Maryland
Visit site
I was cleaning track successfully with the improved design that Rory posted, but I got tired of running my dinner through the blender. Also, my wife wanted her toothbrush back.

Sooooooh...... I bought the diecast Centerline car. (The diecast model was the only one the store had in stock). It works as advertised, even to the point of cleaning the wheels on my locomotive.

I must say it was gratifying to watch the locomotive run a bit more smoothly with each successive lap around my layout, pushing that little centerline car!

Bill