Where to buy styrofoam?

myhotrs

Dec 27, 2005
Granada Hills, CA
I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I want to cover my 4x8 table in styrofoam. My understanding is that I cover the entire surface with 2" foam and carve things out and put ground cover/buildings track on that. A good web resource, store to visit (I'm in Los Angeles/San Fernando Valley) or any advice at all would be very appreciated.
Thanks!!
GReg

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Hi Greg,
Check your local lumber yards or larger hardware/ home improvment stores like Home Depot. Remember that you're looking for the pink or blue styro, not the white beaded kind.
Good luck!
Ralph

papio

Sep 6, 2004
Papillion, NE
I may be way off base here, but I've been under the impression that this type product is not available in CA--doesn't meet building code requirements mandated by the state?? As I said, this may be totally wrong, but I seem to recall similar posts on other forums.

Ed

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Oh oh! That's worth checking out! Don't those building code writers understand the importance of model railroading!!!! :) Any Californians out there know for sure?
Thanks Ed.
Ralph

Clerk

Nov 6, 2002
Esparto, California
Visit site
What happened to my first post?? Lost in space??
I have been unable to find the good stuff in the Sacramento area and got stuck using the white beaded junk:cry: :cry: :curse: :curse:

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
its just insulation board (styrofoam). why would building code prevent use of it? it should be everywhere. although to be honest i can't seem to find 2 inch thick sheets of it. i have found thiiner sheets though.

papio

Sep 6, 2004
Papillion, NE
green_elite_cab said:
its just insulation board (styrofoam). why would building code prevent use of it? it should be everywhere. although to be honest i can't seem to find 2 inch thick sheets of it. i have found thiiner sheets though.

There are a number of products that carry "California-specific" warning labels. Seems they have determined many commonly used consumer products have been found to be the cause of cancer in lab tests.
Ed

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
The extruded styrofoam (pink, blue, or green) is hard to find in California, mainly because it's not used much. Home Depot/Lowe's rarely stock it, and of course the help is clueless as to whether they have it or not. Best bet is a lumberyard patronized by contractors. that's where I find it in Northern California.

The white stuff (bead board) is useless for baseboard or roadbed because it has no structural strength. It can be used for scenery but is messier to work with than extruded foam. The white stuff is also flammable; the good stuff has fire retardent added to it.

Yes, the People's Republic of California is very different but the leaders have been too busy telling everybody else in the world how to do things to get around to banning foam in MR use.

Hope this helps.

yours in foaming

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
I was having trouble finding the thicker foam down here in Houston. I did a Google search using different combinations of keywords "houston, extruded, foam, insulation, blue, pink" and found a place just down the road that sells 4x8 sheets in varying thicknesses, and had it all in stock.

So, try an internet search....

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
Clerk said:
You don't know California then. They have done a lot of things like this that doesn't make any sence at all.

I probably should have guessed after reading all the paint bottles that say "known to cause cancer in california"

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
I probably should have guessed after reading all the paint bottles that say "known to cause cancer in california"

I have those label on the testors paints sold here in Canada. Must be something in that state that causes cancer more than anywhere else on the planet! Makes me glad I don't live in California.

hooknlad

Mar 28, 2005
Woodbridge, NJ USA
Cheap Styrofoam

If there are any large construction jobs going up nearby, Hotels, strip malls etc. thet usually utilize the 2 inch styrofoam as a skin to th building followed up bt a few layers of stucco. After the stucco is applied, they spray the stucco and viola instant wall. I know that all the jobs sites that i have been on, many boards of this stuff have been discarded as well as decorative Moldings ( made from styrofoam as well).I know they wil be happy to give you the stuff, no sense filling up a dumpster with lightweight styrofoam when dumpster rentals usually go for about $500 A POP. Just a thought. Also, when the light fixtures are delivered, many smaller styrofoam (beaded) blocks aretossed as well. They can be incorpoarted into your scenery. I know if you went to an arts and crafts shop, styrofoam is not cheap by any means.

GeorgeHO

May 3, 2005
Baltimore, MD
When I go to the recycling dump to drop off my newspapers, I frequently pick up styrofoam (usually white beaded stuff) when the workers are not looking. Usually I return with more than I took.

Jan 12, 2006
Southern CA
If you're still looking for foam in the SF Valley, try Gavrieli Plastics on Sherman Way in North Hollywood. http://www.gavrieli.com/ I was in there today and they have a lot of the blue foam in stock, thicknesses from 1/2" - 3" in 4'x8' sheets. I'm not sure what the different colors mean, but they also had some of the pink as well as the same type of foam in white (not the typ. 'bead-board' EPS).

Good luck,
Chris

Marxed

Jan 29, 2005
Glen Haasdyk said:
I have those label on the testors paints sold here in Canada. Must be something in that state that causes cancer more than anywhere else on the planet! Makes me glad I don't live in California.

California has something in the air that reacts with most substances, making it extra flamable, radioactive, sharper, and easier to choke on. i've heard that you an import tanks of east coast air to your house to make things less dangerous