Where I've been hiding.....

guppyman

Dec 6, 2001
League City TX
www.railimages.com
I have not been around for quite awhile... Life got real busy. But things are finally starting to slow down a bit. I moved in to a new house about 2 weeks ago and now have a dedicated train room. It is 11'6" x 10'6" and has a huge walkin closet(staging yard). Over the next couple of years I will start constructing a new (yet unplanned) N-scale layout. Just for grins, here's a rough sketch of the room and rough benchwork plans:

ach.jpg

Under the layout will be a smaller HO scale dogbone for my 6 year old daughter's train to run...

I have been given permission to cut through the walls to the closet to bring tracks in and out of staging... I've actually been given free reign to do just about anything I want in this room. (And the garage too... WOOOHOOOO!) The plan is to make all the benchwork and lighting all look professional like furniture... and make this room a showpiece... I hope that I have it in me to do.

Anyway... Just thought I'd give a little update on what's been up... I've missed everybody.

guppyman

Dec 6, 2001
League City TX
www.railimages.com
Actually... while looking at different houses... Having a spot to put the trains was a prime requirement. I would try to at very least plan out where things would go in my head, a few of the houses would have had me in the living room.

Things worked out great with the place we got... the biggest problem will be finding money to buy anything (wood, track, DCC, etc...). But I figure if I slowly aquire things, it'll all work out ok. I plan to be in this house for a long time.

Hi Guppyman

Guppy , good to have you back . The new home and layout ideas sound GREAT!! I too bought a house with the layout in mind. The home I bought had the house half of the garage as a Pool Room , so I turned the wall sideways and the left half of the garage became the train room and the right half became the garage.
The great thing about that was both halves are heated and cooled so I just had to seal up the train room side.

Ammazing insperation can be acheived by the thought of some designated train space!!!!!

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:
Mike

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Good for you :thumb: Looks like it has great potential. If you have access, check out some of Irv Shultz's work in old MRs. He did exactly what you're planning, it was simple and looked great. Holes in drywall are easy, it's when them studs get in the way... :p

guppyman

Dec 6, 2001
League City TX
www.railimages.com
Just a quick followup....

I jumped into the closet over the weekend and it is 4'6" deep and 5'6" wide....

I should have plenty of room for decent staging and a nice turn around in there. Construction will probably not start for quite awhile, every time I turn around I am building something for the house.... Just finished an 8 foot computer desk and the hood for a 55 gallon aquarium... gotta build a new stand for the aquarium this weekend, next is an armoire for the living room and some kind of ceiling mounted TV hanger for the bedroom. Then I have about a thousand shelves to build, not to mention the need for workbenches in the garage.

Some day, I'll throw benchwork in to the construction projects. ;)
And hopefully I can come up with a decent trackplan between now and then.