Where is your layout situated?

alexbnfan

G'day everyone!!!

The other day, when i started a new layout, i was wondering where does everyone keep there layout.

Coming from a very sparsely populated country, in a rural area, we have very large yards. (no, not that sort of yardsign1) so instead of a basement, we have sheds in the backyard. Just like the British have Attics. As i was saying, i have 2 layouts. one pretty much completed layout, in a shed down the back, and another in my bedroom. Its a pretty non traditional place for it, but when you think about it, its the most logical place for it, as its my area.

So where do you keep your trains? Which reminds me, i keep my trains in a toolbox for transport.

Anyway, i'm proabaly starting to ramble.

Alex

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
My layout(s) are also in my bedroom lol

I saw layouts(s) because I have 2 mouldes (one on the wall and one in the closet, both just barely started lol) a HO layout that is 12' x 2.5' x 6' L-shaped layout and a N scale Steel Mill layout under the HO layout still in the construction stages lol

So everything is packed into one room (and this is my bedroom which I also sleep in) sign1

alexbnfan

yeah. Mine is "sub 4x8". Its (sorry to be metric here) 1.05 meters buy 2 meters (a little over 1 yard by 2 yards.)

sorry to be so vauge

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
my (future) 10.5' by 10.5' layout will either be in my basement OR in the new 6 car garage that is set for construction in fall.i can either have the basement now OR wait to get a room slightly bigger (12' by 12').i dunno,i guess youll find out soon :mrgreen:.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Dining room.
DCP_6013.JPG

Nomad

My wife let me have the den room for my train room.

Loren

Attachments

• HPIM0186.JPG
    HPIM0186.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 200
Right now it's along one side of the garage, on track shelving that I installed to hold the layout and magazines below.

P1040220.JPG

The box on the left is an 'extension' which will serve as staging. The layout needs a blue sky board behind it, but I'm not sure what I'll do behind the staging. It will most likely be scenicked...originally it was to just be a box that would also hold rolling stock, controllers, loads, etc. for when I might take the layout to an exhibition. But my thinking on that has since changed.

The lower shelves are only deep enough for the magazine boxes. I built the top shelf deep enough for the layout and a 3" strip along the front for car cards, drinks, etc. Pre-primed mdf made this easy.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Most of the guys around here build in the basement, although there are a few who have a dining room or living room layout, or spare bedroom above grade.

The modular guys set up in another basement - the basement of one of the banquet halls in town.

Andrew

jesso

We have a weird garage, we used to call it a 2+1 garage. You could pull a car with a trailer into one side of the garage. We walled off the extra area in the garage and this week we are putting in a door and fan, So I guess I can say my layout is in the train room. I have the clubs' N scale modules in there and my 4x8 HO layout. The room is 24x10.

myltlpny

I rather took over the majority of the bonus room over the garage. It's turned into the "Man Cave" and includes my layout (11 x 13 or so), my workbench, bar, TV, etc.