Where has DCC been all my life??

petepuma

Jan 26, 2005
Salem, Oregon
Got my Digitrax Zepher set up this week...

HOLY SMOKES!! It's a whole new world of train fun!! I never knew having a 7 loco consist would be so much fun!!!

Thank you DCC!!

Now I'm looking into putting decoders in my passenger cars and cabooses and who knows what else!:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

CalFlash

Oct 31, 2004
central Florida
Yea, the only drawback is you have so much fun just playing with it, progress on the layout suffers!
biggrin.gif
Even though he went conventional DC, when my friend built his layout years ago, I insisted on wiring standards that would allow him to convert to DCC and he has since done so after seeing it on others' layouts. I am building mine as DCC right from the start.

Agatheron

Nov 8, 2003
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I haven't even got space negotiated for my Layout yet... well almost... but I just acquired a Prodigy Express about a month ago, and was able to install and run my 3rd decoderified locomotive on the dining room table tonight.

Wow... I'm actually in control of my locomotives... not block wiring! I even managed to program the CV's to handle consists with locomotives going end to end AND set it up for the rule 17 dimming...

It's just too cool... Now I actually have to go build a layout ;)

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
I'm having a fabulous time with mine. Bought myself an NCE Powerhouse Pro Radio for Christmas. Be prepared for more train wrecks though. I get terribly greedy and run far to many trains at once. :rolleyes: sign1

"Ooops... where's that one going......... AAARRGHHHHHH forgot about those two...... Ooooopppsss..... wrong way................" **after setting up acceleration/deceleration** "Car'n you damned thing!! STOP!!! ooooooppps.... ran of the end of the yard siding..... car'n you damned thing... get a mova-along before that one behind runs up your backside..... AAAAAARRRGHHH..... "I'll just bring that one out of the yards on to the main before that one comes along..... AAARRGHHHH... fogot about the one coming the other way AAARRGHHHH"

"That one's gunna run up the back of that one if I don't slow it down a bit"

**presses recall on the cab controller to skip through 6 locos to find the one I want** Damn.... pressed it once to many.... **presses recall 50 times more**

"AAAAARRRGHHHH"

:D :D sign1 sign1 :cry: :cry:

petepuma

Jan 26, 2005
Salem, Oregon
Woodie said:
Doppler effect? Which decoder are you using? (or are you pulling my leg!!) :eek:ops:

Thankfully I'm not pulling your leg! It's the Quantam sound (QSI) in in my Broadway Limited!! It's their decoder. So I'm unsure on the number. But I have an atlas with sound and it will do it too. I will open them up and get some numbers...

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
petepuma said:
Thankfully I'm not pulling your leg! It's the Quantam sound (QSI) in in my Broadway Limited!! It's their decoder. So I'm unsure on the number. But I have an atlas with sound and it will do it too. I will open them up and get some numbers...

So how does it know the listener's position relative to the loco to generate a "doppler" effect? :confused: :confused:

petepuma

Jan 26, 2005
Salem, Oregon
It doesm't really know where you are. It's just another sound function like brakes, couplers, bell, etc... it just starts at the regular horn tone and it lowers (along with the engine sound) like it would in real life. But it will do it whenever you hit the button.

It will do it on DC too. You flip the reverse switch to start the horn, let it go for at least 3 seconds, then flick the reverse switch again and it will do it that way too...

Does that make since?

I wish it knew where you were. Sounds like a great idea for future systems...