where do i buy o gauge cheap??

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by mntony, Feb 2, 2005.

1. mntony

mntony New Member

:confused: hi, i would like to buy cheap useable o gauge trains track accesories ] esp. light up] e bay seems to be mainly collectibles. is there swap meets or something like that. is there a web sight for used or cheap trains? thanks.
  2. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Swap meets vary, but most major cities have at least one. Shows run by local Lionel or O gauge clubs, or by the TCA, tend to have a lot more O gauge than the big national shows like Great American Train Shows or World's Greatest Hobby on Tour. Here in St. Louis the TCA puts on a big show in December, and the Lionel Club put on a swap meet during the summer and intends to do another one this summer.

Some dealers have a $10-and-under bin, if you happen to have a local train shop. Others may not have the stuff on the shelves but have a box in the back room or behind the counter.

Ebay actually is a pretty good source for inexpensive trains. Search the Lionel 1970-1985 category and you'll find lots of inexpensive items. You can also find lots of inexpensive items in the 1945-1969 category as well. Just limit your search to items priced under whatever threshold you're interested in (be it $25, $10, or whatever) and you'll find stuff. There's lots of collectible Lionel out there but there's an awful lot of common stuff too. The same goes for Plasticville buildings. Glued Plasticville sells very cheaply on Ebay.

The biggest key with Ebay is to be patient. You may only find one or two really good deals a week, and that's frustrating. But if you stay with it, over the course of a few months you can accumulate a lot on the cheap.

A good place other than Ebay to buy stuff is trainmarket.com. He has a price list, updated monthly. Much of his stuff is collectible, but there's lots of inexpensive stuff there too.

Also, keep an eye out for non-train items. Toy buildings with doors 1.75 inches or so high are suitable for O gauge. 1:43-scale cars aren't as common as the ubiquitous Hot Wheels and Matchbox, but I see them pretty often, and they can be very inexpensive. If you're leaning more towards O27 than regular O, then you can use 1:64 vehicles, which are common and cheap. For cheap figures, the Christmas village figures sold at Dollar Tree in packages of 4 for $1 are a good size for O gauge, but obviously they're winter-looking. The Homies series of gumball machine figures are sized close enough to O gauge that a lot of people use those.
  3. eco-manblue

eco-manblue New Member

How to creat a small "O' gauge layout?

:wave: Hi folks,

I'm trying to design and then build a small oval or figure 8 layout that will be 4 or 5 feet long but no wider than 18". The idea is to create the layout on a slightly larger piece of plywood and use it for a dinner table decoration. My idea is to provide everyone (8 to 10 people who will sit down to dinner) with a control button to bring the train around to the front of their plate. Why? Because the train will have cars with the Salt & Pepper, Paper Napkins, butter, etc.

I've long fantacized about doing this and I've finally got my wife's permission to take away her center pieces (lovely as they truly are) and have this seasonal/holiday specific layout instead.

However, I have several challenges given that I've never created anything other than an out of the box simple oval or rectangle with one connection to the transformer.

I would dearly love some advice regarding the idea ingeneral and the specific questions below. Thanks very much in advance for helping me out!

(1) How do I make a "O" gauge or "O-27" track turn 180 degrees taking up no more then 18 inches of width? I've heard that there is some kind of track that can be bent, but I've heard that that it is difficult to get right.

(2) Having achieved the bend (hopefully), I need to find an "O" gauge engine that is small enough and gondola cars or flat cars that are equally small enough to make the radically sharp turns. I just won an Ebay auction for a Lionel 1615 and sloped tender thinking it would do because it's the smallest steamer that Lionel makes. But the combined length of the engine and the tender are 15"! I could buy and use a boxy looking yard switcher, but that's not the look I want. Does anyone make a shorter "O" guage steamer? And cars?

(3) Well, if I get this far, I'll be mighty happy, but... how can I give everyone or every two people sitting around the table a simple control button to bring the train to them so they can spice up their food, wipe their lips or butter their bread? Besides having fun with this, it does solve the practical problem of reaching for those things or asking someone to pass the item to oneself.

(4) Assuming all these challenges can be met (and I would be in seventh heaven if it can be done!), what about powering some accessories? I plan for this to be a mountain scene with trees, etc. But have also thought about a couple of lighted (LEDs? fiber optics?) cabins with smoke coming out of the chimneys, one of those Hot Air Balloon Rides that Lionel makes, and a real miniature stream with a small (very quiet???!!!) pump to circulate the water over an olde tyme mill wheel or pebblely stream bed. I don't have any idea how to easily and centrally power and control them?!

(5) If I could create the layout as described (well... I'd be fat and sassy as cooncat in heat!), I would love to have one other thing and that's real train sounds. I've heard a little about "TMCC" (Train Master Command Control) and Proto sounds and Realsounds but don't know anything about them and have gotten completely overwhelmed by looking at various descriptions of these and related power units and all sorts of wiz-bang, wonka-wonka, yahootie kazootie kinds of things that make my simple brain short circut!

Thanks to anyone capable of understanding what I'm trying to do and willing to provide some advice!!

New to model railroading as a hobby,

Scott Denman (aka eco-manblue)
  4. eco-manblue

eco-manblue New Member

I'm trying to design and then build a small oval or figure 8 layout that will be 4 or 5 feet long but no wider than 18". The idea is to create the layout on a slightly larger piece of plywood and use it for a dinner table decoration. My idea is to provide everyone (8 to 10 people who will sit down to dinner) with a control button to bring the train around to the front of their plate. Why? Because the train will have cars with the Salt & Pepper, Paper Napkins, butter, etc.

I've long fantacized about doing this and I've finally got my wife's permission to take away her center pieces (lovely as they truly are) and have this seasonal/holiday specific layout instead.

However, I have several challenges given that I've never created anything other than an out of the box simple oval or rectangle with one connection to the transformer.

I would dearly love some advice regarding the idea ingeneral and the specific questions below. Thanks very much in advance for helping me out!

(1) How do I make a "O" gauge or "O-27" track turn 180 degrees taking up no more then 18 inches of width? I've heard that there is some kind of track that can be bent, but I've heard that that it is difficult to get right.

(2) Having achieved the bend (hopefully), I need to find an "O" gauge engine that is small enough and gondola cars or flat cars that are equally small enough to make the radically sharp turns. I just won an Ebay auction for a Lionel 1615 and sloped tender thinking it would do because it's the smallest steamer that Lionel makes. But the combined length of the engine and the tender are 15"! I could buy and use a boxy looking yard switcher, but that's not the look I want. Does anyone make a shorter "O" guage steamer? And cars?

(3) Well, if I get this far, I'll be mighty happy, but... how can I give everyone or every two people sitting around the table a simple control button to bring the train to them so they can spice up their food, wipe their lips or butter their bread? Besides having fun with this, it does solve the practical problem of reaching for those things or asking someone to pass the item to oneself.

(4) Assuming all these challenges can be met (and I would be in seventh heaven if it can be done!), what about powering some accessories? I plan for this to be a mountain scene with trees, etc. But have also thought about a couple of lighted (LEDs? fiber optics?) cabins with smoke coming out of the chimneys, one of those Hot Air Balloon Rides that Lionel makes, and a real miniature stream with a small (very quiet???!!!) pump to circulate the water over an olde tyme mill wheel or pebblely stream bed. I don't have any idea how to easily and centrally power and control them?!

(5) If I could create the layout as described (well... I'd be fat and sassy as cooncat in heat!), I would love to have one other thing and that's real train sounds. I've heard a little about "TMCC" (Train Master Command Control) and Proto sounds and Realsounds but don't know anything about them and have gotten completely overwhelmed by looking at various descriptions of these and related power units and all sorts of wiz-bang, wonka-wonka, yahootie kazootie kinds of things that make my simple brain short circut!

Thanks to anyone capable of understanding what I'm trying to do and willing to provide some advice!!

5. eco-manblue

eco-manblue New Member