Where do I begin?? as much help as possable needed

who_dat73

Jan 18, 2005
Minnesota
I have been wanting to get into model railroading many years and finally bought a life like set at the local market so far I have a four by eight sheet of ply and my trian set on it but where do I go from here??
any help would be great.
Thanks
Mike

By the way any other newbies to the site look into the pictures section it a total thumbs up. That is what I hope to accomplish somday
:thumb: :)

seanm

Oct 11, 2004
Sunny CA
www.pegnsean.net
If it were me I would start with some books. There are many beginner books out there. What ever you do, enjoy the process and dont be afraid to scrap it and start over. Your skill will develop over time and what looks good to you today may not look so good in few years. This is geat hobby and can last you the rest of your life!

LIRR

Dec 19, 2004
Shay, did the PRR use sliver GG1's or is that some kind of fantasy scheme?

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
The first thing I'll say is that the Life-Like engine you got is probably not going to last very long or run very well. It's fine for getting your feet wet, enjoy it while it lasts, but know that there are a lot better engines out there that run more smoothly.

The next place to go is to a local hobby shop--this will introduce you to the wealth of products and information out there. Invest in a couple of magazines (Model Railroader, Railroad Model Craftsman, etc.) and maybe a book or two introducing you to model railroading.

If you're hesitant to plunk down the cash, stop at your local library and see if they have some model railroading books (most decent ones do) or issues of Model Railroader in the periodicals section.

grumbeast

Jan 13, 2003
Dartmouth, N.S. Canada
www.accesswave.ca
It would also help if you let us know what scale you're using, probably HO or N.

I also think some books would be a good idea, as well as having a thorough look through some of the older forum's here, there's a wealth of great information for beginners.

The wonderful thing about a model railway is that nothing is set in stone, if you do something you don't like, rip it up and do it again, the trick is not to mind this and to enjoy the process.

Welcome to the best hooby in the world!

Graham

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
LIRR said:
Shay, did the PRR use sliver GG1's or is that some kind of fantasy scheme?

In 1935, the PRR painted three of them in the silver scheme. Needless to say, I was thrilled when I found out that even the number is correct for this color. These are the first three of 8 different paint schemes they wore in their lives, I'm hoping to collect all 8 eventually.

Who-dat, as you can see there is alot more to this hobby then just running trains. With every facet there is something to be learned. The only way to get bored is to limit your focus and the only way to get burnt out is to take on too much at once. In 30+ years in the hobby, I've owned 3 layouts for a total of 10 nyears. The rest of the time was spent building, planning and aquiring. Enjoy, explore and ask questions, that's what we're here for :thumb:

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Who_dat, welcome to this wonderful hobby!! As already suggested t's a good idea to begin by looking at lots of inspiring photos of other layouts, to get an idea of what you want to do. But I suspect you may want some specific information on the steps of building a model railroad, so here goes. I should mention that you don't necessarily have to do things in this order. MRRing is a hobby where there are always many different ways to do things.

1. Make a track plan. Once you get tired of watching your train(s) run around in an oval, you'll need a track plan. Fortunately, there are probably hundreds of track plans designed for the 4x8 sheet of plywood. One source of downloadable plans is the Atlas website: http://www.atlasrr.com/

2. Track laying & wiring. There is a wealth of advice here on the Gauge, in books and on the net as to how to do this. Or, you can just start a new thread and ask. :)

3. Scenery & Structures: this includes all those things we do to make our sheets of flat plywood look like rolling hills, mountains, prairies, towns, cities etc. and the buildings, both of a scenic nature and the businesses/industries our RR serves. Again, information is readily available. Some people like to build kits, others like to create their own - scratchbuilding. Scenery materials can be purchased, but many can also be adapted from natural materials like branches, sand, rocks etc.

And finally a little piece of advice that has helped me a lot: don't let the magnitude of any task overwhelm you. Just do a little bit each day, and before you know it you'll see some real progress.

Good luck, keep asking questions, and keep us posted with your progress! :) :)

Val