when is a layout to big

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hey Scooby why not divide the whole thing up to a manageable size? I'm talking about a huge layout area, a woodshop and a machine shop, a painting area and etc. Man you got the room to do whatever you want!!! BTW I know what pole sheds are.

Now Guys.....About that Southern/Redneck talk:D :eek: ....
I'm a Georgia Cracker:D and..... Ah dun gon an sole da wheels offin mah mobil hom sos ah kin gits to da sto an gits me sum mo of dem 'lectric trains!!!!:D :) :p

BTW Again..... Nobody down here say "You All"...the correct pronounciation is....."Y'all!!!!:D

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Ovur here in Texas we gotta cut the hitches off tha trailers sos we can get 'lectricity. The co-op won't hook ya up if ya don't cut off yur hitch.

I'm frum East Texas, but I don't qualify as a true Redneck 'cause I ain't got no dogs and I don't drink beer or liquor.

K.V.Div

May 10, 2001
Shawnigan Lake, B.C. Canada
Visit site
The mind boggles. That is an awful lot of space.
And here I thought I had it made with what I will have when my new house is completed in August.
The War Department has given me the entire basement, as long as I keep the model trains out of the rest of the house and that includes the loft above the carport (household storage only).
Still I think that 48ft x 36ft is great.
I am in N scale, however, given the space you have I would go with at least HO or even O.
Start small and work in sections, ensuring that all the trackwork and electrical is working properly before proceeding to the next. DCC is a good idea on a large layout.
Scenic and detail at your own pace and do something different every day in order to keep the intrest up.
put in a recreation space and lounge in order to entertain your model railroad buddies as well.
Rome wasn't built in a day and neither should your layout, Take your time and once you have a small operating layout, you can start to expand to your hearts content.
Wow, With that kind of space, I could model every yard and siding between Nelson and Pentictin to scale in N scale.
Like I said, the mind boggles.
Have fun on your layout of a lifetime and don't forget to keep us posted.

Terry

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
That's not a shed!! That's an apartment block! My whole house, with swimming pool, garage, backyard and front yard would fit in there 15 times over!!! The whole street would fit in there, and still room for the pub, picture theatre, supermarket, and a couple of bus stops! What sort of machinery did they used to maintain in there? Jumbo jets??? :eek: :D

That's almost 1/4 mile around the edges, or 19.5 miles of track in HO scale! :eek: :eek:

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
I continue to see this "pole barn" and think of the story that was published several? years ago about Warren Buffet, the multi-billionaire annoucing that he was going to model the entire Wisconsin Central to scale. I seem to recal it would have a 42 mile mainline and you can imagine the rest. Turned out to be an April Fools joke:D :D :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Bob

scoobyloven

Jan 13, 2002
zeeland michigan
Visit site
well i thought of what you all said and i'm going to cut the space up the layout it self would be in ho scale and be around 90 feet x 90 feet in a L shape i got some 2x4's friday to put up a wall to make the layout room in the front 1/2 of the space and in the back 1/2 would be a work shop and a rec room with my pool table and the o scale loco's and other train stuff i display and their might be a main line run that would run in there but still in the works i should have the floor plans done this week if every thing looks good to my standders...