when is a layout to big

Too Big??? Never

scoobyloven, look at at this way, you have a whole lifetime to build and add on, and no limit to area, wow I thought I was lucky when my wife agreed to let me have our 12 x 16 barn (Shed)... seriously you should have great fun for many years... Being a Michigander It would be interesting to see your barn once you get started. Here is a picture of my Train Barn, Taken last winter during a storm in nearly 2 feet of snow.... Ive installed an air conditioner, and will be just starting the benchwork this week. Lots of luck. planeshavings42

Attachments

• hamptons hollow christmas 2001-e.jpg
    hamptons hollow christmas 2001-e.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 74

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Yeah...
How about a rotary plow?! :D
BTW Tyson,
Pole barns have gotten a little more modern these days...you can get them in a kit form, with pre-cut poles, metal framing, & siding.
My brother-in-law lives in one! :rolleyes:
See? Not all us rednecks live in trailers! :D

gromit

Mar 25, 2002
Pleasantville, NJ
Visit site
You sure those dimentions are correct? That's over 86,000 square feet, that's more than 5 times the size of my yard, which is only 50 x 150 feet. I find it difficult to believe you have something that big in the back yard in a residential area. Sounds more like a commerical sized space to me.

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Scooby,
I'm still gasping at the enormity of it all.
Does this mean we will have a two week reunion at your place and bring our woodworking tools with us? ..:D :D
I'm cheap to run, only 2 cans of beer a day and a coathanger for bedding down for the night! ... :D

Seriously though, you are one lucky fellow and you have already made up your mind as to settling for a shelf type RailRoad (I was going to say "pike" or "layout") empire. Your options and opportunity just blows my mind.

I wish you great success with such a project (the Southern RR gets a new sub-division) .... (chuckling).
heh heh heh, And by the way, your wife is quite right! :D .

Errol

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Pole barn -- thanks

Thanks for the pole barn info. Don't know if I've seen one or not.

(I was thinking of somrthing from a trolley line -- there's the car barn on that side of the yard and the pole barn at the back.)

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Y'all's trailers got wheels on 'em?
Ar's gist sits on cinder blocks, and's got a lean-to on th' back! :D
And you know fer shur yer a redneck if your front porch collapses, & more 'un 6 dogs are kilt! :D :D :D

scoobyloven

Jan 13, 2002
zeeland michigan
Visit site
yes i am for sure on the space i do it five or six times and came out with the same numbers... it was used to store and work on farm equipment in the winter and it is made out of those kits only thing it don't have is ac but all i would have to do is open the doors.. as for the track plan i'm going to start that this weekend when i get my bigger hard drive to put it on i did pick out on part of it it would be out of the book101 track plans it is plan 99... and plan 95on the left side and use that for a starting point

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
scoobyloven,
I was going to suggest that book, & also one by John Armstrong called Creative Layout Design, which also has quite a few ideas for utilizing large spaces.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Shoooot, Errol,
That's 'zactly why we got 'dem dogs...ta clean up th' mess when we spill ar beer! :)

Originally posted by rockislandmike
Sweet ! I'm not sure which I'm more jealous of - the pole barn or the air conditioned shed....................................................

PS have we seen a trackplan planeshavin' ???

I'm starting with an up and over dogbone It's in atlas trackplan book and is number 12. Aproximatly 50 ft of track, but I'll expand in both directions, My bench is a U shape 4ft wide 12ft long on both sides with 12ft across the back. So I have plenty of room to expand. I should have the bench's in by the weekend, and then the real fun begins... Did I say fun??? Will post some pic's when I have the track nearly complete. Planeshavings42

scoobyloven

Jan 13, 2002
zeeland michigan
Visit site
don't know about you all but my dog don't clean up any mess it makes the and the cat cleans them up but as for that southern talk i lived down south for 5 years then moved back north where pepole talk so i can understand them... and they don't say over yander, wendew and can't forget you all :p

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
scoobyloven,
I used to travel up around the Great Lakes region a bit...so you know as well as I, that "rednecks" can be found on BOTH sides of the Mason-Dixon.
I might even add, for Errols benifit, that I spent an evening drinking Jack Daniels, & smoking Marlboros with a couple of them in a pub in Glasgow, (Scotland The Brave, that is) many years ago. Felt right at home, I did! :)