When did you first learn of Card Models?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by thewoodengraver, Apr 16, 2007.

1. gchucky

gchucky Member

I borrowed a book from the library on how to make satellite models and created them out of construction paper. That was back in the late 60's or early 70's. Don't remember the book.

Hey Phil-TWE, I remembered that model shop in Torrance, it was called Historical Models. Out of bussiness. They were mainly into RPG, wargames, and gaming minatures.

Chucky
  2. gchucky

gchucky Member

I borrowed a book from the library on how to make satellite models and created them out of construction paper. That was back in the late 60's or early 70's. Don't remember the book.

Hey Phil-TWE, I remembered that model shop in Torrance, it was called Historical Models. Out of bussiness. They were mainly into RPG, wargames, and gaming minatures.

Chucky
  3. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

@Chucky, That MUST be it!!! I remember a diorama of a Pirate Ship battle from a first-person view, remember that?
    Thanks Chucky.
  4. thewoodengraver

@Chucky, That MUST be it!!! I remember a diorama of a Pirate Ship battle from a first-person view, remember that?
    Thanks Chucky.
  5. panzer

panzer Member

Back in 1976 when I was seven years old I've got my first issue of the weekly German "Micky Maus" (Mickey Mouse) magazine which came with a free card toy as a giveaway.

I've made the "Duckburg" town and the Disney planes with my father. My first own build was the postwagon from the western train set. In the beginning of the eighties my interests turned to soccer and to my girlfriend. :grin:

After a break of 22 years I discovered that the scans of "my" old models are available again at http://www.seite42.de/e_index.htm (English version). This brought back a lot of memories so I decided to build some of the toys with my kids. At the same time I began searching the internet for other papermodels...
  6. panzer

panzer Member

Back in 1976 when I was seven years old I've got my first issue of the weekly German "Micky Maus" (Mickey Mouse) magazine which came with a free card toy as a giveaway.

I've made the "Duckburg" town and the Disney planes with my father. My first own build was the postwagon from the western train set. In the beginning of the eighties my interests turned to soccer and to my girlfriend. :grin:

After a break of 22 years I discovered that the scans of "my" old models are available again at http://www.seite42.de/e_index.htm (English version). This brought back a lot of memories so I decided to build some of the toys with my kids. At the same time I began searching the internet for other papermodels...
  7. thewoodengraver

Page 42 is one of my favorite sites!!! LOVE DUCKBURG!!!
  8. thewoodengraver

Page 42 is one of my favorite sites!!! LOVE DUCKBURG!!!
  9. Dave Treby

Dave Treby Member

I remember seeing card kits in Europen model shops 30 or 40 years agoand wanted to have a go. My first model was the Wilhelmshaven Finlandia and I was fascinated by making something so 3D out of flat sheets. I was impressed with the results, but the model's long gone so I can't now take an objective view as to how good it was. I see it's still available so perhaps I should build it again.
  10. Dave Treby

Dave Treby Member

I remember seeing card kits in Europen model shops 30 or 40 years agoand wanted to have a go. My first model was the Wilhelmshaven Finlandia and I was fascinated by making something so 3D out of flat sheets. I was impressed with the results, but the model's long gone so I can't now take an objective view as to how good it was. I see it's still available so perhaps I should build it again.
  11. Teamski

Teamski Member

My discovery of card models was one of rediscovery. When I was about 8 or 9, I got a card model book by Bellerphon, Famous Fighters to color, Cut Out and Fly. I loved those planes!! Luckily, it's still in print after all these years. A couple others were printed as well that covered modern fighters and historic aircraft.

http://www.amazon.com/Famous-Fighte...5318266?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1177082176&sr=8-1

Anyways, I never heard of other card models out there until, during a visit to a friend in the UK in 2002, I stumbled upon his 1:250 Titanic card model project (that he never finished, hehehe). I was was floored! I checked the internet and sure enough, there were all these models available!! These things catered to my interest in naval ships and I found another lifetime hobby!!

-Ski
  12. Teamski

Teamski Member

My discovery of card models was one of rediscovery. When I was about 8 or 9, I got a card model book by Bellerphon, Famous Fighters to color, Cut Out and Fly. I loved those planes!! Luckily, it's still in print after all these years. A couple others were printed as well that covered modern fighters and historic aircraft.

http://www.amazon.com/Famous-Fighte...5318266?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1177082176&sr=8-1

Anyways, I never heard of other card models out there until, during a visit to a friend in the UK in 2002, I stumbled upon his 1:250 Titanic card model project (that he never finished, hehehe). I was was floored! I checked the internet and sure enough, there were all these models available!! These things catered to my interest in naval ships and I found another lifetime hobby!!

-Ski