When did you first learn of Card Models?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by thewoodengraver, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Billy Leliveld

Billy Leliveld Member

This is me in 1963, I was 8 years old, the model is the F 101 Voodoo, The kit still available here in Holland...BTW, the kid too...
  2. Billy Leliveld

Billy Leliveld Member

This is me in 1963, I was 8 years old, the model is the F 101 Voodoo, The kit still available here in Holland...BTW, the kid too...
  3. Dnlgtr

Dnlgtr Member

The first Paper/Card Model I remember having is the "Green Hornet" book set.
    I do still have one of the Masks, But sadly the 'Black Beauty' & others?? are lost.
    Being '66-'69?? I was too young to understand Collecting.
    In fact, the car,"Black Beauty" had to be rebuilt with blank cardboard within 1 week!!

I sure would like to find that set now!!
  4. Dnlgtr

Dnlgtr Member

The first Paper/Card Model I remember having is the "Green Hornet" book set.
    I do still have one of the Masks, But sadly the 'Black Beauty' & others?? are lost.
    Being '66-'69?? I was too young to understand Collecting.
    In fact, the car,"Black Beauty" had to be rebuilt with blank cardboard within 1 week!!

I sure would like to find that set now!!
  5. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Not long after moving to Redmond, Oregon, I hit the local hobby shops and stores looking for some models of World War I aircraft. I was really enjoying flying some of the WWI flight sims of the time and wanted models of the birds I enjoyed flying.

When I couldn't find anything worthwhile, I decided to search the internet. I came across Fiddlersgreen and immediately bought their aircraft CDs. Been cardstocking ever since.

For a sidebar, I like to think I helped get this site started. Shortly after found Fiddlersgreen, I told a friend of mine about them. He had built numerous paper models when he was a kid and my chat relay of what I found in the way of cardmodels lit a fire in him again. That friend was the one, the only, Rick Steffers. 8v)
  6. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Not long after moving to Redmond, Oregon, I hit the local hobby shops and stores looking for some models of World War I aircraft. I was really enjoying flying some of the WWI flight sims of the time and wanted models of the birds I enjoyed flying.

When I couldn't find anything worthwhile, I decided to search the internet. I came across Fiddlersgreen and immediately bought their aircraft CDs. Been cardstocking ever since.

For a sidebar, I like to think I helped get this site started. Shortly after found Fiddlersgreen, I told a friend of mine about them. He had built numerous paper models when he was a kid and my chat relay of what I found in the way of cardmodels lit a fire in him again. That friend was the one, the only, Rick Steffers. 8v)
  7. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

When I was a kid, I loved the Wheaties paper models and build a bunch of them, but mostly I made solid balsa scale models, and stick and tissue rubber-powered models (scale and otherwise).

When I got into high school, I dropped modeling until years later, when my son wanted to build some airplane models (or was it me who wanted to build some models again?), and I "helped" him. He also "grew out of it" until he was grown and out of college. One day he showed me a copy of "Fine Scale Modeler", and I was hooked again. I built 1/72 scale plastics (and brought home a bunch of trophies from IPMS competitions). When I retired, my wife and I became full time RVers, and I gave my collections to a nearby museum.

Then one day, I ran across the Fiddlers Green free Piper Cub, downloaded it, and, guess what? I'm hooked again!

Bob
  8. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

When I was a kid, I loved the Wheaties paper models and build a bunch of them, but mostly I made solid balsa scale models, and stick and tissue rubber-powered models (scale and otherwise).

When I got into high school, I dropped modeling until years later, when my son wanted to build some airplane models (or was it me who wanted to build some models again?), and I "helped" him. He also "grew out of it" until he was grown and out of college. One day he showed me a copy of "Fine Scale Modeler", and I was hooked again. I built 1/72 scale plastics (and brought home a bunch of trophies from IPMS competitions). When I retired, my wife and I became full time RVers, and I gave my collections to a nearby museum.

Then one day, I ran across the Fiddlers Green free Piper Cub, downloaded it, and, guess what? I'm hooked again!

Bob
  9. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

I stumbled upon 'The Paper Airplane Museum in Maui', Hawaii while on vacation about 10 years ago. There were hundreds of BUILT models on display- lots of Fly, Maly, various German models. He had a stock of many kits, all older as well. I was immedialtely amazed and once again interested in making models. I bought about ten of them on the spot as I thought they were the most amazing thing I had ever seen. In Hawaii of all places.
    Last time we were there the place had closed and was looking for a new location. The proprieter's neighbor told me that he had the collection in his garage. We went to see but he had left for a short holiday the day before. I think his name is Ray Roberts. I hope he's able to continue... we always make it a point to stop in when we are on holiday there and I always get a few more models.
  10. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

I stumbled upon 'The Paper Airplane Museum in Maui', Hawaii while on vacation about 10 years ago. There were hundreds of BUILT models on display- lots of Fly, Maly, various German models. He had a stock of many kits, all older as well. I was immedialtely amazed and once again interested in making models. I bought about ten of them on the spot as I thought they were the most amazing thing I had ever seen. In Hawaii of all places.
    Last time we were there the place had closed and was looking for a new location. The proprieter's neighbor told me that he had the collection in his garage. We went to see but he had left for a short holiday the day before. I think his name is Ray Roberts. I hope he's able to continue... we always make it a point to stop in when we are on holiday there and I always get a few more models.
  11. mbauer

mbauer Cardstock Model designer

I was 44, found out about FG site while reading my Air & Space Magazine. Had a little box mentioning about his model airplanes.

After doing the freedownload and buying one or two models by direct payment/download, I bought the Aircraft CDs and have been hooked ever since!

Mike
  12. mbauer

mbauer Cardstock Model designer

I was 44, found out about FG site while reading my Air & Space Magazine. Had a little box mentioning about his model airplanes.

After doing the freedownload and buying one or two models by direct payment/download, I bought the Aircraft CDs and have been hooked ever since!

Mike
  13. phlipmbirner

phlipmbirner Member

I had stumbled across a couple of books on scratch building wooden sailing ships at a flea market 7 or 8 years back which was kind of weird as this is in Zambia, Africa. I went on the web to see what was possible with my limited abilities to get supplies. I stumbled across the Digital Navy web site. I was impressed with how real these paper ships looked! Even more impressive was the fact that the V108 torpedo boat was free and downloadable! Suddenly the whole world of the previously unobtainable hobby shop was as close as my office where the computer and printer were. At first I thought only ship models looked good in paper but then started seeing how good the airplanes looked. Then I saw some of the armor and vehicles looked just as good if not better than anything you could do in plastic. So here I am currently working on an Orlik dump truck. Its a long way from wooden sailing ships and torpedo boats but everytime I add another assembly on this thing I marvel at how one is able to do that with paper.
  14. phlipmbirner

phlipmbirner Member

I had stumbled across a couple of books on scratch building wooden sailing ships at a flea market 7 or 8 years back which was kind of weird as this is in Zambia, Africa. I went on the web to see what was possible with my limited abilities to get supplies. I stumbled across the Digital Navy web site. I was impressed with how real these paper ships looked! Even more impressive was the fact that the V108 torpedo boat was free and downloadable! Suddenly the whole world of the previously unobtainable hobby shop was as close as my office where the computer and printer were. At first I thought only ship models looked good in paper but then started seeing how good the airplanes looked. Then I saw some of the armor and vehicles looked just as good if not better than anything you could do in plastic. So here I am currently working on an Orlik dump truck. Its a long way from wooden sailing ships and torpedo boats but everytime I add another assembly on this thing I marvel at how one is able to do that with paper.
  15. jparenti

jparenti Member

I built a model of the Titanic, from scratch, when I was about six. I guess that was about 1988. Oh, sure, the hull was a cardboard egg carton, and the superstructure and funnels were made of construction paper, but give me a break, I was six. :grin: I used to build my own toys out of corrugated cardboard and toilet paper tubes, since I liked the fact that I could make WHATEVER I wanted instead of settling for the plastic junk they sold in stores.
    Then, in about 2001, I discovered the paper model of Cassini on the Internet. I've been building paper spacecraft (and occasionally other things) from kits ever since.
  16. jparenti

jparenti Member

I built a model of the Titanic, from scratch, when I was about six. I guess that was about 1988. Oh, sure, the hull was a cardboard egg carton, and the superstructure and funnels were made of construction paper, but give me a break, I was six. :grin: I used to build my own toys out of corrugated cardboard and toilet paper tubes, since I liked the fact that I could make WHATEVER I wanted instead of settling for the plastic junk they sold in stores.
    Then, in about 2001, I discovered the paper model of Cassini on the Internet. I've been building paper spacecraft (and occasionally other things) from kits ever since.
  17. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

I am very impressed with this thread, and the poll as well.
    I thought I was reaching too far with that 1900-1925 option, but as you can see, it got 1 vote.

I do not remember exactly where I remember reading this, pretty sure it was NOT here, but I do not ever want to read how new cardmodeling is again...and if I do, I can reply with this thread as proof!

Thank you all...(so far?)...
  18. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

I am very impressed with this thread, and the poll as well.
    I thought I was reaching too far with that 1900-1925 option, but as you can see, it got 1 vote.

I do not remember exactly where I remember reading this, pretty sure it was NOT here, but I do not ever want to read how new cardmodeling is again...and if I do, I can reply with this thread as proof!

Thank you all...(so far?)...
  19. milhistory

milhistory Member

I had a dream about six years ago. Yes, I dream. I dreamed about building a castle out of paper and searched the Internet to see if anyone else had done the same thing. I found paperparadise.com, which sold a few FG airplanes. The search expanded and here I am. I never did build that castle, though. I'm too busy building tanks...and airplanes...and ships...and trucks...and....

Brad
  20. milhistory

milhistory Member

I had a dream about six years ago. Yes, I dream. I dreamed about building a castle out of paper and searched the Internet to see if anyone else had done the same thing. I found paperparadise.com, which sold a few FG airplanes. The search expanded and here I am. I never did build that castle, though. I'm too busy building tanks...and airplanes...and ships...and trucks...and....

Brad