When did you first learn of Card Models?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by thewoodengraver, Apr 16, 2007.

1. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

My father has been a prolific card modeller, and I remember helping him to make some flying jet models, including an RA5C Vigilante, which we flew dozens of carrier landings accross the kitchen onto the table. I must have been about 5, so that makes it 1963 or thereabouts. Later on we bought a couple of Wilhelmshaven ship models, a Whaler (ooo, a bit un-PC nowadays! My name's Ben Elton....) and a destroyer of some kind. They came from Seagull Models, which was a tiny, tiny Paradise, right next door to the Science Museum on Exhibition Road. Anyone else remember that shop?

I then discovered Airfix, and only came back to card models when I started using Rhino, about 5 years ago. I might even finish a project one day....

Tim
  2. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

My father has been a prolific card modeller, and I remember helping him to make some flying jet models, including an RA5C Vigilante, which we flew dozens of carrier landings accross the kitchen onto the table. I must have been about 5, so that makes it 1963 or thereabouts. Later on we bought a couple of Wilhelmshaven ship models, a Whaler (ooo, a bit un-PC nowadays! My name's Ben Elton....) and a destroyer of some kind. They came from Seagull Models, which was a tiny, tiny Paradise, right next door to the Science Museum on Exhibition Road. Anyone else remember that shop?

I then discovered Airfix, and only came back to card models when I started using Rhino, about 5 years ago. I might even finish a project one day....

Tim
  3. beejay

beejay Member

I can distinctly remember at Primary School there was a competion to build a model ship from card. My model was a passenger liner. I built the hull from a 4 high layer of empty match boxes with the stem, stern, decks and superstructure from card cereal boxes. The funnels were card cylinders from toilet rolls, I used balsa cement to glue everything and aircraft dope to paint her as she had to float without falling apart. I must have been around 7 but I do remember that I won!!!
  4. beejay

beejay Member

I can distinctly remember at Primary School there was a competion to build a model ship from card. My model was a passenger liner. I built the hull from a 4 high layer of empty match boxes with the stem, stern, decks and superstructure from card cereal boxes. The funnels were card cylinders from toilet rolls, I used balsa cement to glue everything and aircraft dope to paint her as she had to float without falling apart. I must have been around 7 but I do remember that I won!!!
  5. mellotronage

mellotronage Member

Around '98 or so, my brother and I went to the Fort Washington (PA) Expo Center (now defunct) for the East Coast Hobby Show.
    I remember the show was a disappointment, as most of the booths were for doll collectors and RC vehicles, with a smattering of model railroading....
    We walked around with little interest until we found this one booth from Reston, VA. Peter Heesch had an impressive collection of ships from Wilhelmshavener Models- these things were made of <gasp>.....PAPER!
    Finding that one booth made it all worth while!
    I walked out of the show with a few simple kits to start on, he assured me that I might NOT want to start on the Graf Spee or other Kriegsmarine vessels he had on display. I left the show full of excitement that these new paper kits were going to give me. It didn't happen that way.
    Some 9-10 years later, I've finally gotten the paper bug- big time. Damn it, I have a closet full of plastic and resin ship kits to be built yet. My new found fervor for paper doesn't bode well for those closet dwellers..... :cry:
  6. mellotronage

mellotronage Member

Around '98 or so, my brother and I went to the Fort Washington (PA) Expo Center (now defunct) for the East Coast Hobby Show.
    I remember the show was a disappointment, as most of the booths were for doll collectors and RC vehicles, with a smattering of model railroading....
    We walked around with little interest until we found this one booth from Reston, VA. Peter Heesch had an impressive collection of ships from Wilhelmshavener Models- these things were made of <gasp>.....PAPER!
    Finding that one booth made it all worth while!
    I walked out of the show with a few simple kits to start on, he assured me that I might NOT want to start on the Graf Spee or other Kriegsmarine vessels he had on display. I left the show full of excitement that these new paper kits were going to give me. It didn't happen that way.
    Some 9-10 years later, I've finally gotten the paper bug- big time. Damn it, I have a closet full of plastic and resin ship kits to be built yet. My new found fervor for paper doesn't bode well for those closet dwellers..... :cry:
  7. romfolmar

romfolmar New Member

I found card models on the internet by accident about 3 or 4 years ago.
    Been hooked since.
  8. romfolmar

romfolmar New Member

I found card models on the internet by accident about 3 or 4 years ago.
    Been hooked since.
  9. Millimodels

Millimodels Member

I can remember my father building card model buildings for the model railway when I was still a toddler. He also built ships in 1/600 scale from card faced wood blocks, some I now realise were from plans that he obtained during the war and others he designed himself, particularly subjects that he used to see when he was young in the 1920s and 1930s on Merseyside.

I remember a Peguin(?) publication about Cotswold villages that had a set of card buildings with it. I've never been able to track a copy down. Anyone know of it?

When I was three I used to cut up paper with scissors to make things and I remember working out ways to cut the paper so that parts would fold to the shapes that I wanted, such as cutting half circles so that the wheels on ralway trucks would stand out from the bottom of the sides when I folded them up.

Apart from a lot of railway modelling in 3mm and 4mm scales using paper, card and plastic sheet for rolling stock and buildings, I only got into "real" card modelling when I discovered Micromodels in 1972.

Robin Madge
  10. Millimodels

Millimodels Member

I can remember my father building card model buildings for the model railway when I was still a toddler. He also built ships in 1/600 scale from card faced wood blocks, some I now realise were from plans that he obtained during the war and others he designed himself, particularly subjects that he used to see when he was young in the 1920s and 1930s on Merseyside.

I remember a Peguin(?) publication about Cotswold villages that had a set of card buildings with it. I've never been able to track a copy down. Anyone know of it?

When I was three I used to cut up paper with scissors to make things and I remember working out ways to cut the paper so that parts would fold to the shapes that I wanted, such as cutting half circles so that the wheels on ralway trucks would stand out from the bottom of the sides when I folded them up.

Apart from a lot of railway modelling in 3mm and 4mm scales using paper, card and plastic sheet for rolling stock and buildings, I only got into "real" card modelling when I discovered Micromodels in 1972.

Robin Madge
  11. barry

barry Active Member

Tim

Seagull models

I don't remember the shop but I bought my first Big cardmodels from the guy that owned it found him in Model Boats magazine ( Bismark and Eugen) then he disappeared.

Before that I built Micromodel trains and things including TWE's 6 little ships in about 1962.
  12. barry

barry Active Member

Tim

Seagull models

I don't remember the shop but I bought my first Big cardmodels from the guy that owned it found him in Model Boats magazine ( Bismark and Eugen) then he disappeared.

Before that I built Micromodel trains and things including TWE's 6 little ships in about 1962.
  13. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

My uncle showed me his collection of Micromodels when I was very young (less than 10 ????) but I thought they were unique. I only discovered 'proper sized' card models at the International Model Engineer Exhibition (Used to be a fantastic exhibition, but sadly has declined over the years, and now seems to have died completely) sometime in the 80's. I had an abortive attempt at a card model downloaded off the 'net about 5 years ago, but have only recently started building card models successfully. And I use the term successfully in the loosest possible manner.
  14. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

My uncle showed me his collection of Micromodels when I was very young (less than 10 ????) but I thought they were unique. I only discovered 'proper sized' card models at the International Model Engineer Exhibition (Used to be a fantastic exhibition, but sadly has declined over the years, and now seems to have died completely) sometime in the 80's. I had an abortive attempt at a card model downloaded off the 'net about 5 years ago, but have only recently started building card models successfully. And I use the term successfully in the loosest possible manner.
  15. Darwin

Darwin Member

The first cardmodel I can remember was a service station/auto dealership model (with a small selection of cars) that was given away as a premium at Studebaker dealerships about 1953 or so. (I saw one recently on Ebay starting at $100 US....came real close to jeopardizing marital tranquility by bidding on it.) My father was also into building military ships from kits made primarily from pasteboard back then....for some reason, he wouldn't let me within two yards of them....the nasty old bugger.
  16. Darwin

Darwin Member

The first cardmodel I can remember was a service station/auto dealership model (with a small selection of cars) that was given away as a premium at Studebaker dealerships about 1953 or so. (I saw one recently on Ebay starting at $100 US....came real close to jeopardizing marital tranquility by bidding on it.) My father was also into building military ships from kits made primarily from pasteboard back then....for some reason, he wouldn't let me within two yards of them....the nasty old bugger.
  17. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

I don't know the scale, but they each fit on a business card. They now sit atop an American Penny.
  18. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

I don't know the scale, but they each fit on a business card. They now sit atop an American Penny.
  19. astroboy

astroboy Member

July 1969, Apollo 11 was on its way to the moon and Gulf Oil was giving away paper Lunar Modules at their gas stations. I built two, one for me, one for my brother.

Bill Kastenmeier
  20. astroboy

astroboy Member

July 1969, Apollo 11 was on its way to the moon and Gulf Oil was giving away paper Lunar Modules at their gas stations. I built two, one for me, one for my brother.

Bill Kastenmeier