Wheels!!

Bob Collins

Today I received my Athearn heavyweight consist I ordered and in putting them together I noticed that on one truck there are metal wheels on one side and on the other truck they are on the opposite side. Is there a reason for this?

I bought these cars (6) in the Southern Crescent Limited as I just couldn't stand to have the beautiful bright green 4-8-2 one of my kids got me for Christmas pulling FREIGHT. Makes good sense to me. right?

:rolleyes:

Bob

Bob Collins

They are not lighted. That was my first thought, but I don't see anything that might serve as a power pick-up that you might hook a kit into later.

I wonder if it might have something to do with tripping a DCC reversing switch or something like that.

Bob

Vic

Hello Bob and thanks for the e-mail. Come down and visit again sometime. You won't believe how this place has changed!!!

Athearn sells a lighting kit for their passenger cars. That's why the wheel sets have metal wheels on one side and plastic wheels on the other. As I remember it used the car weight to hold the bulb in place and the current was conducted thru the truck screws. It was not a very reliable system as the lights flickered very badly. I've never used DCC so I don't know what could be arranged to provide constant lighting in your cars using DCC.
Take Care...Vic:)

kf4jqd

Power

Bob:

I saw those cars in the latest Walthers fkyer. They are for powering the interior lights. Walthers now makes a lighting strip that all you do is install. There are power connectors inside that snap togther. There you go, instant lights!

Andy

Bob Collins

Thanks Andy.

I'll have to check that out. They would really be cool lighted, but that sort of thing at this stage of my construction progress seems to be too much. I will keep and eye open for that catalog(ue) though.

Bob

Bob Collins

Andy;

I apparently don't have the right/latest catalog(ue) from Walthers. Can you find a "parts #" out of the one you have so I can look it up on their website? Many thanks

Bob

n4085b

I'm also in a similar position. I have 6 athearn streamliners that I would like to put lights in...but I'm going to be using DCC to power the rails. I did a search here but didn't find anything really....maybe not looking in the right place? My trucks are plastic...but with metal wheels/axles...I suspect a brass/or copper contact across the axles (how about the braided brushes like slot cars use?)and tied to the truck mounting screws to transfer the power to the tabs inside the cars.

Thanks,
Jess