Wheels keep jumping

Collyn

Aug 18, 2006
Canon City CO
www.rankinrevolutions.com
I have been having a problem with the front guide wheels on my model power 2 8 2 mikado jumping the track, must of the time they jump back on at the several rerailers but every once in a while they get caught on the tunout. Not only that I don't like the rerailers.

umtrr-author

Dec 19, 2003
Visit site
My first thought is that they are out of gauge.

Are you saying that they are catching the rerailers also? I don't quite understand "I don't like the rerailers." If they are catching the rerailers, I would definitely look at the gauge of the wheels.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I think he is saying he'd like to solve the problem so he can get rid of the rerailers...

Collyn - look at where the wheels are coming off the track. If all cars jump off at one spot - it's the track. If only certain cars do it, but do it all over the layout, then it is the car(s).

If you do not have an NMRA gauge, you should get one for your scale. It will let you check all the stuff that should be in gauge - track, turnouts, points, wheels, etc.

Another thing that can lead to derailments, evn if everything is in gauge, is weight. Properly weightin gthe cars (as per NMRA specs) helps to keep them on the track. If you have underweight or light cars between the loco and some heavy cars at the end of the train, the light cars can be pulled off the track on curves, since the train will basically try to make a straight line between the loco and heavy cars.

Hope that helps. Post more information on your investigation! ;)

Andrew

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Collyn: if it's only the lead pony truck wheels, you should check them. As well as measuring them for gauge, look for bits of plastic that shouldn't be there -- lines on the back of the wheels or lumps on the flange. Also check for missing bits, especially on the flanges. Then check the mounting of the truck. If it's screwed on to the frame, see if it's either very tight or very loose. A ticght truck will just stay in position on curves.
Also see if it can turn far enough. On some locos, the wheels may hit the inside of the cylinders when it enters a curve.