Wheels don't move very smoothly!

joeymanko

May 23, 2005
Does anybody have a good remedy for wheels that don't move smoothly on my o gauge freight and passenger cars. I have a couple of cars that just drag on the tracks. When I turn the cars over and look at the wheels, they don't spin freely, I need to really roll them. I don't think I am supposed to oil anything, but these cars really drags down my engines!!!:curse: wall1

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Are the cars you are talking about, older equipment or a new set? Are the trucks and wheels metal or plastic? If the trucks are the older Lionel or Marx metal type, rust or bending from past use may have caused your problem. It won't hurt to use some light oil on this type of truck. Plastic is another thing. You will need a plastic compatible type of lubricant. Hope you get some more info from the O gauge community.

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
I was under the impression that the wheels are quite different. Hence...I would expect a slightly different solution such as trying brand X wheels rather than brand Y.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Also check that the ends of the axles are in the holes in the trucks that they're supposed to be in. It doesn't take much pressure to push them out and then they don't run at all. This usually only happens with plastic trucks. If the axle end is pushing against the side frame, you just have to spread it gently and move the axle back to position.