Whazz tit ziz...........number 2

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by NOBI, May 22, 2004.

1. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Hi There,

Guess what is it
  2. rkelterer

rkelterer Member

hi nobi,

it seems as you take hitler's paper planes to literally ? (title of a book which contains planes existing only on paper) :D
    nice design !!

cheers
    raimund
  3. Masamune_Washington

Masamune_Washington Member

Finally, one you can stick a rocket engine in and fire at The neighbors :lol:
  4. Horus

Horus Member

Oh for a Jetex engine, a bit of soda can and a design by NOBI. :twisted:
    I think I have the same book. Trouble is my entire library is in the garage at the moment fopr a kitchen and office refit. No model making for me for a week or two. Boo Hoo. :roll:
  5. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Still checking, but that cylinder in the nose has me stumped...unless it's a propeller base...otherwise it looks like one of the Blohm & Voss pulsejet type fighters, except for the wind shape...interesting! :D
    Jim
  6. Sticky Fingers

Sticky Fingers Member

7. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Ah!!
    How did I miss that? :D
    Oh, that's right, I had no clue!!! :lol:
    Well done, Mark...just plain Mark. :D
    Jim
  8. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Hi There,

Yes that is Skoda Kauba P.14-01, what is next design in my X-birds series, winner want something? tell me :D

and below is groups of picture for descrip this strange bird ;)
  9. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Next is assemble nose
  10. Gil

Gil Active Member

Nobi,

Really weird airplane.., didn't bother to go into research it but it appears to be ramjet powered with a 37mm cannon over the poor pilot's head..., volunteers anyone?

Keep up the good work as you've found an area absolutely devoid of competition although some of the plastic model companies are starting to venture in with some of RLM pipedreams (pun intended).

Best regards, Gil
  11. rkelterer

rkelterer Member

nice teeth artwork :D !!

cheers
    raimund
  12. Sticky Fingers

Sticky Fingers Member

Nobi, I'll think about for a couple of days.
  13. charliec

charliec Active Member

According to the Luft 46 site the Skoda was a ramjet. Exactly how it was proposed to get the plane up to the minimum operating speed for the ramjet is a bit unclear. It would probably have to be launched from a carrier aircraft.

The proposed weapon was a 30mm cannon firing (as you said) over the prone pilot. I guess it would have turned out similar to the Me163 - technical triumph but tactical failure. (Before I get flamed - how many bombers did the Me163 shoot down expressed as a ratio of the cost of the development program?)

It's always been to me a source of amazement how many designs were considered/promoted by RLM in the closing stages of WW2.

Regards,

Charlie
  14. Sticky Fingers

Sticky Fingers Member

The Skoda was supposed to be launched for a rocket equipped three wheel dolly that would drop off after takeoff for recovery and reuse. Actually of all the rocket or ramjet aircraft proposals in the Luft '46 archieves that one that to me makes the most sense is the Von Braun interceptor. In the "conventional" aircraft it is of course the Ta-183. Whether the TA-183 led to the MIG-15 is I think debatable to a certain degree. At the same time the MIG was being developed either LAG or YAK, I forget which had a design that is very similiar to the MIG. Swept wings & tails assembly, bubble canopy and cannon armed.
  15. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Was this one powered by normal fuels, or the more exotic stuff the Luftwaffe were working on, including powdered coal?! I know they were extracting fuels from brown coal, as well as distilling wood at the end of the war.

I say thank goodness their project planning was utterly chaotic. If they had been able to concentrate their efforts on just a few potentially successful types, who knows what might have happened.

Remember a lot of their research went into postwar US and Soviet designs, so they were very advanced in a lot of ways, but you can have the cleverest design, but it is useless without fuel or a pilot.

Tim P

PS Me 163 combat kills = 16, according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messerschmitt_Me_163
  16. Sticky Fingers

Sticky Fingers Member

I think this was "normal" fuels. The ramjet was probably just kerosene I would think. The stuff the Luftwaffe used in their reusable rocket pods was nasty enough. Yes their research programs were chaotic to say the least. Luckily forthe world as a whole they rested on their laurels too long as it was. The Luftwaffe could of had a jet powered fighter before the ME262 if Ernst Heinkel hadn't been out of political favor. But then the Germans weren't the only ones to ignore good ideas. What is the date on Frank Whittles patent?
  17. charliec

charliec Active Member

Thanks for the "kill" count of the Me163 - I'd estimate that the cost of the development program and the cost of deploying the Me163 (probably of the order of millions of Reichmarks) divided by 16 kills compared to the cost of B-17s wouldn't come out in favour of the Me163.

The errors of the Western allies (imho) were those of conservatism in the face of compelling evidence. For example, operating bombers at night with some of the crew devoted to turret mounted guns when operations research had shown that the cost of defending bombers compared to payload/manouverability cost of the guns and extra crew didn't stack up.

Nobi - are there any more Luft 46 models in the pipeline?

Regards,

Charlie
  18. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Hi There,

very intersting on Skoda Kauba :) if u see luft'46 website u will see skoda kauba's engine or ramjet have been test in DO-17Z before and that DO-17z can fly. and about armament, luft'46 not said about what is an armament of skoda kauba but i think they will put 30 mm. MK-108 cannon on top of canopy. u will see that MK-108 when im finish this model

[​IMG]

have u want a poll to set up my next Luft'46?
  19. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Hi Charlie,

The Allies, and the Axis for that matter, had to fight their battles with the equipment they had to hand, most of which was the product of developments from pre-war designs and thinking. The Luftwaffe had no real strategic bombing capability, because their air arm was seen mainly as a tactical supporting force for the ground forces. The differences between the allied bomber designs, while mostly having four engines, are strikingly different due to the difference of opinion on precision as against area bombing techniques. The Mosquito was a real odd-ball in that respect! Many aircraft types were pressed into roles their designers had never dreamed of; glider towing, anti-submarine patrols, alsorts of things. Even the humble British RP (Rocket Projectile) was used in completely the reverse of the roles for which its two versions were designed!

The fortunes of war can turn in a matter of days. Aircraft development, even in those days, was a matter of years, and a misguided planning policy could have far-reaching results. The fighting crews just had to get on with the job with whatever equipment they had, even if it wasn't ideal!

Tim P