What's your layouts time frame?

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
A generic approach is essentially what I use. The structures are a general mix of old and modern and the vehicles range from the 50's to 05. By adding or subtracting vehicles and some small details of certain times, I can make the layout reflect whatever time period I want (in the time periods of the 50's to modern day) that I want it too. Still, it wouldn't be a big leap to have a train pulled by a team of F units or RS3's to come through town in 2001. Not likely to happen but it's possible.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
1920s and 30s rural area for me. So internal combustion powered vehicles are still a relatively new phenomenon, but I will have the Model T's etc, from Jordan if I can get them. There will still be a lot of (real) horse power on the layout too... I saw a really interesting photo of a horse drawn tanker that was hauling gasoline for "them newfangled horseless carriages" that I might have to build... ;) :D

Andrew

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Floating lazily backwards from 1971 until it eventually reaches the mid-1940s. I'm modeling a belt line that originally used electric locomotives but later dieselized: right now I'm modeling the diesels and the last operational section of the belt line, but the plan is to expand it to model areas that were taken out of service in 1966, and then add overhead wire that was taken down in 1953. Eventually I will add streetcars that will backdate the model to 1946--and who knows, maybe I'll add interurbans and backdate things to 1940!

hiscopilot

Dec 27, 2006
Spring Hill, TN
mine is imaginary- Thomas Tank Engine Isle of Sodor... but I think it dates back a ways.

When I do my real layout, it will probably be like the one mentioned above, current and back- just move some stuff and change out the engines/ cars and you have a different era.

N

nachoman

august 22, 1918 :D

well, I guess I am not that specific, but I would generally say 1915-1925.

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
Unkown

I want my layout to be nice and somewhat realistic, so I have a trend towards modern times (the more weathered buildings look like thy're from the late '80 to the early '90's in my opinion). Unless there are still some around, I guess I can say that my layout has the only CNW F3 still in sevice:D

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
Dang it!

CNWman said:
I want my layout to be nice and somewhat realistic, so I have a trend towards modern times (the more weathered buildings look like thy're from the late '80 to the early '90's in my opinion). Unless there are still some around, I guess I can say that my layout has the only CNW F3 still in sevice:D

Just found the box that the F3 (or from now on the F3A as it's called:D ) is supposed to be around the 1980's while my tank car is from the 1960's:p