what's your favorite engine?

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
That's cool stump. Your description might make more sense to someone. Jeff, I would beware of advice from anyone who is against any scale. They likely (think they) are on some level above us, and are not likely to enjoy or want you to enjoy the hobby.

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
I had seriously considered going to On30, but my interests lay primarily in portraying the manual interchange of narrow gauge with standard in a limited space.

Advantages of On30, On3, and Sn3 is that they each have sufficient size (slightly larger than HO standard gauge) to have good looking and good running locomotives, even when the prototypes are very small. On30 has over the other 2 a good selection of reasonably priced locomotives and rolling stock.

Most of the On30 locomotives are scale models, except for track gauge, of 3 ft gauge protoypes. 3ft was the predominant narrow gauge in the US. 2ft was a distant 2nd, and the assorted other gauges - 42 inch, 30 inch, and 18 inch all saw some use. The rolling stock from what I have seen is more of a mixture of 2ft, 3ft gauge prototypes, and generic short narrow gauge cars. Your needed clearances on curves, bridges, tunnels, loading platforms, etc is going to depend on what size rolling stock you choose. The smaller cars look a little too small to go behind a K-27 model - but that's my eye. On30 modelers are known for having fun, and not taking exactness in modeling too seriously.

To realistically model On30 in small spaces requires a very good eye for selective compression of structures. This was the deal breaker for me - the size of a realistic structure was just too much for my space.

HOn3 and HOn30, on the other hand, present opportunities for less compressed structures and scenery. However, getting smooth running, slow speed locomotives, especially of small prototypes, is not a given. It can be acheived, but does not always come that way from the box. HOn30 typically start with N chassis for their locomotives. HOn3 has a fair amount specifically made for the gauge.

Most importantly, do what suits you, and is fun for you! It's your railroad!

yours in narrow gauging

grlakeslogger

Sep 2, 2003
WI, USA
Visit site
Welcome to logging. You have received some great input there.

I would like to venture a word about selecting a log car. When I found myself in the same position as you, I went to a large show and met a group of guys there with a logging layout. They were from Minneapolis-St. Paul and called themselves the West Side Lumber Co., as I recall. They showed this layout all over the midwest and eventually won a Best-in-Show (Exhibition Layout) award at a NMRA national convention. Having accomplished what they wanted, the group disbanded. The layout no longer travels to shows.

Anyway, they told me the only log car they wuld run on that layout, which ran reliably for days at a time at shows, was the Keystone Locomotive Works Climax Log Car. It has enough weight to track reliably forward or backing, empty or full. The ends are heavy white metal castings and the detail is excellent in HO scale. They come two to a kit. The center beam is a wood timber, which I stained like weathered oak on mine. I am very glad I took their advice. I have not built all of the 24 of them I bought, but the ones I have look great snaking backwards into my freight yard!

On the subject of donkeys, I am partial to the SS Ltd. kit and to the Evergreen Hill Designs kit. You might also check out Rio Grande Models kits. I get a lot of this stuff from http://www.jaystrains.com/ .

I hope that all helps. Logging is one of the most fascinating aspects of railroading, so please do enjoy it!
--Stu--