What's with all graffiti?

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
What's with all the graffiti?

I've seen lots of frieght cars going by latley with graffiti on them, anyone else have this problem?

Attachments

• 65.jpg
    65.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 280

SmolderZ

Sep 27, 2003
The Netherlands
That happens when you ain't got a proper fence around your staging area :)

I'm not a big fan of graffiti, I like to keep everything crisp and clean, but it looks realistic SD90

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
It sure is an eyesore in some respects but you have to admire the artistic talents out there. Nicely done Mike.
Now it's not only railroad cars but buildings too.
See what they did to this glass factory.

Attachments

• gl36.jpg
    gl36.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 233

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
In a certain respect...

...I think graffiti is really neat. Great renditions of color and expression. What's with all graffiti is that it's an expression for the demoralization of society and the acceptance of crime. Would you perhaps accept someone gaffitiing your house?

It's neat on a wall (who's wall). Perhaps a railcar (who's railcar). It's not acceptable- that's what with all that graffiti. How'd you like to meet up with the thugs that spray cars with their "art" in a yard, say, midnight?

Just what's with all the graffiti?

I see that crap generated all night long in the Lansdale yard. A very happening revitalization of rail if I perceive correctly for the amount of building traffic. Just down the tracks from the station where a woman was raped and murdered. A commuter, on her way home. Missed the earlier train and perhaps noticed by the graffiti artists wanting to paint more than the cars. Paint the town red! That's all I see.

It's cute that your're modeling the abandoment of decency. When I modeled graffiti back in the sebventies it was a peace sign. What you're modeling is war paint. Pretty kewl huh?

Mark

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Mark, I didn't say I like it, but we are all trying to create a realistic model railroad, and like it or not, all that graffiti is part of the real railroads we are trying to recreate. So that is why I put it on my layout. I'm sorry if it offends you or anyone else.

hemiadda2d

Jun 15, 2003
Cheyenne, WY
www.railimages.com
Ouch.
But he does have a valid point. Graffiti will not make an appearance on my layout.
I grew up 15 miles from one of the most infamous gang areas of Ohio--Youngstown. While I didn't have much to worry about in my hometown, I went to college in downtown Y-town. Talk about a scary commute after a night class! The crime point is one well taken.
The 6 o'clock news every night featured a gorey drive-bys, rapes, kidnappings, you name it.

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Which brings up this question, have you, or will you put graffiti on your model railroad? (This question is to everyone and anyone!)

Xaniel

Jun 8, 2002
Lisbon, Portugal
modelismo.luislopes.net
I won't put any graffiti on my railroad. I don't like to see trains vandalized... I prefer to trains all dirty than with those abstract drwaings.

But I really like to see a good grafitti on a wall, since they are true artists.

nscalesteve

Apr 27, 2003
New Zealand
www.nscalecorner.com
Originally posted by SD90
Which brings up this question, have you, or will you put graffiti on your model railroad?
...yep, see:

furx8092.jpg

furx1.jpg

mav_uk

Sep 26, 2001
Near Amsterdam
Visit site
Whilst it won't be on my railroad I do think that the true graffiti has a place in society. By true graffiti I don't mean the mindless tagging and destruction of preprty, but artists doing work in allowed area's.

In Leicester, UK, a few years a go a huge fence was put up a round a redevelopment site. Knowing it was going to get covered in graffiti anyway they held a competition. Some of the 'Artists' simply did tagging which spoilt the effect somewhat, but some of the fence panels were stunning works of art.

They have a novel approach in one of the villages I know in Holland as well. They have a Graffiti wall. Every so often it's painted over and the kids start again. Some of that is very good as well, and the village doesn't seem to have the graffiti problem that the rest of the Netherlands seems to have to endure - theproblem over here is 10 times worse than the parts of the UK I have seen, including peoples houses.

Just my t'penny worth :)

Stu