What's the trick? Front coupler on MDC Mogul

Bikerdad

Okay, so I just noticed as I was going to put it away that MDC includes a pair of their "dummy knuckle couplers" (not actually dummies, they just don't uncouple like the MT and Accumates) in with my 2-6-0 Mogul. I immediately say "cool", and proceed to switch out the rear coupler, tossing the superfluous Rapido into the scrap gondola. :thumb:

Problem is, I can't figure out how to remove the front coupler. :cry: :confused: I don't want to start disassembling things if it ain't necessary, so any guidance (ABSNUT, you there?) would be appreciated.

:cool:

absnut

Easy as pie, Dad! :thumb:

The pilot has two pieces that sorta snap together. The pilot itself is attached to the pilot deck by two small pins. If you twist the coupler gently, you'll notice that the pieces separate slightly. You should be able to withdraw the rapido (watch out the spring doesn't take off) and replace it with the knuckle coupler by pushing it in "sideways" and twisting it in place. Then, gently "squeeze" the pilot pieces back together. I'm sure there's a way to remove the whole cover plate but, I found it not necessary. Paint those couplers with a flat paint like grimy black or rust and they'll lose their slipperyness. I double-head my pair and they work nicely together.

Dick