What's the best looking Diesel loco?

Bikerdad

Oct 17, 2003
Southwestern US
Visit site
Okay, I need to get a sense of what the best looking Diesel locomotive that is available in N scale is. Paint scheme/roadname doesn't matter, as I'll be doing a custom (really, really custom) paintjob on them. What I need is a loco (or set of locos) that the general public can "connect" with...

I'm thinking its going to be some of the F, E, PAs, etc from the 40s & 50s, but lacking any good handy 'Net references, I can't tell for sure. I don't think it will be the FTs, as they are too short/small for my use. The loco has to project a sense of power, and those scrawny FT's don't do it, not visually.

Please, weigh in with your thoughts, and why you think the way you do... :wave:

F

Fred_M

Baldwin Sharknose for coveredwagons or Alco Century series for hood units get my vote. Also FM Trainmasters just oozed power as they are all engine hood, but some say they are ugly. I also always liked RS-3. BTW, a FT is aprox the same size as an F-3 or F-7. Fred

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Con-Cor's U-50, a monster that's just gnarly :cool: ...make sure you get one painted for Conrail or Amtrak. Really sets the rivet counters on their ear :thumb:

Attachments

• up_eng_37_U50_a.jpg
    up_eng_37_U50_a.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 217

Dan Vincent

Aug 14, 2003
Sanford, FL
Visit site
I think the best-looking diesel loco ever has to be the ALCO PA-1.

My favorite RR is the ERIE and they used Black & Yellow PA-1 units for freight and 2-tone green for Passenger service.

When it comes to hood units I've always liked the chunky and distinctive look of the GP-30. There are many options for best loco.

A lot depends on how large your turns are and the newer much longer units will pull a lot of cars. I would tailor the size of the Locos for the "feel" of your railroad.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
It would be a newer EMD or GE wide cabs that the general public sees on a daily bases.In my area that means CSX or NS being the principle road names.
As far as older locomotives it seems to be a steam locomotive that the general public recalls even the younger generation that recalls seeing the 1218 and 611.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Welcome to The Gauge, Sputnik :wave:

I realized you had requested someting a bit older. PAs are nice (especially Con-Cor's) but...you hafta consider the UP's Veranda Turbine. I know it's out now, I just don't know who makes it. Most definately a candidate...

Attachments

• tr_upX61.jpg
    tr_upX61.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 174
F

Fred_M

Really guys, ALL LOCOMOTIVES are beautiful and I love them ALL. I love my first choices, but I love your choices too. Fred