What's it?

Drew Toner

Mar 2, 2002
McLennan, Alberta, Canada.
Visit site
and an 0-6-0,

Can some one explain to me the names and deignation differances of these two locos. The one with the tender is a Bachman (hong kong) and the short one has no info on the bottom.

Thanks,

Drew

Attachments

• cn6012-2039.jpg
    cn6012-2039.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 322

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
All I can say about the top one is it's a side tank loco, but you probably already know that.

The bottom one is an AHM or Tyco Plymouth MDT. Some folks will say it's a DDT, but it's too big to be a DDT and the protruding doghouse/wart towards the front is common to MDTs. Although Plymouth had many model designations (MDT, DDT, JDT, etc), tonnage and appearnce varies even umong the same model.

http://www.northeast.railfan.net/diesel104.html

The AHM or Tyco is the best HO representation of a Plymouth I've seen. Others tend to be chubby and look like they belong in S or On30 scale. They run well for a 30 or 40 year old design, durable and readily available. Fun to bash and as you can see from the photo's, the sky is hte limit!

Attachments

• pk23.jpg
    pk23.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 297

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
The tank engine looks like it's either an old Mantua or Varney. The body is die cast metal isn't it? You could search around Ebay and see if you can find any others like it there.

Drew Toner

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Those are just a couple of old engines I uncovered the other day. Thinking of what to do with them.

OK Jon, looks like an MDT from the website. I'd agree with that. I like those mufflers and exhaust pipe on the roof of your Plymouth, looks mean!!

Tank engine, yes it is die cast metal, pretty heavy for it's size.

Now for the Bachmann. I opened it up to discover that it's driving gear on the main driven axel, is cracked. I think it is because the axels must have slipped on the gear.

Do the connecting rods from wheel to wheel, on the Bachmann, have to be 90 deg. or 180 deg. out when I glue it back together, or are replacement gears readily available?

Drew

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
You could try contacting Bachmann, but I really don't know if seperate parts are available.
The conecting rods have to be 90 degrees out, it's called 'quartering'. I had an old bowser that wasn't quartered properly and it had alot of driver binding problems until I fixed it

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
OK Jon, looks like an MDT from the website. I'd agree with that. I like those mufflers and exhaust pipe on the roof of your Plymouth, looks mean!!

Thanks Drew, it's pretty simple if you want to do one that is similar:

The muffler and pipe is just a small resistor, bent to shape.

The "cap" is just a bit of brown wire insulation, with a nearly through slice at the top to form the cap. If I recall, I filled the hole in the cap with the same brown latex paint I used to paint the rest of the exhaust "rust"

Oh, and the coffe can keeps water out of hte air intake, it's larger insulation from 12 ga. romex, painted Folgers red and a silver top :D :D :D

Attachments

• mdtnewexsm.jpg
    mdtnewexsm.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 252

grlakeslogger

Sep 2, 2003
WI, USA
Visit site
Hello Drew. Regarding that Mantua 0-6-0T, the small side tank loco, yes, your photo looks just like a model I have in my own train room right now. It is the first loco kit I ever built, about 35 years ago!

Anyway, if you disassemble to replace that gear, you might scribe the driver and axle end before dis-assembling. The "quartering" must be pretty close to exact when you re-assemble, or you will get a nasty bind in the mechanism. The scribe marks are an alignment guide for re-assembling. Also, be sure NOT to bend the axle during the process.

Mantua gears should be available from most well-stocked hobby shops even though Mantua sold out a couple of years ago. Good luck with your repairs!
--Stu--

Drew Toner

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Thanks

Anyway, if you disassemble to replace that gear, you might scribe the driver and axle end before dis-assembling. The "quartering" must be pretty close to exact when you re-assemble, or you will get a nasty bind in the mechanism. The scribe marks are an alignment guide for re-assembling. Also, be sure NOT to bend the axle during the process.[/B]

Ok, Stu, I'll take it easy when I open it up. And scribe the wheel/axel first.

The Bachmann unit had stripped it's driving gear and the wheels/rods wewre binding on it too. I have moved the wheels to be 90degrees out and it runs pretty good now:)

Drew

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Drew Toner said:
Those are just a couple of old engines I uncovered the other day. Thinking of what to do with them.

Tank engine, yes it is die cast metal, pretty heavy for it's size.

Now for the Bachmann. I opened it up to discover that it's driving gear on the main driven axel, is cracked. I think it is because the axels must have slipped on the gear.

Do the connecting rods from wheel to wheel, on the Bachmann, have to be 90 deg. or 180 deg. out when I glue it back together, or are replacement gears readily available?

Drew

Bachmann guarantees their locomotives forever, if you don't try to modify the mechanism yourself. You just need to pay shipping both ways, and they'll repair it for you. If you want to repower it, Northwest Shortline makes repowering kits and replacement gears for most common plastic & die cast steam locos.