Whatever happened to good old "Kit Reviews"?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by sakrison, Apr 25, 2007.

1. sakrison

sakrison Member

I think the proliferation of "build threads" is great! It's a perfect way to share techniques and learn from other modelers.

HOWEVER . . . With all the responses thrown in, it can take a lot of reading and clicking to sort through a build thread and figure out whether or not a kit is good, bad, or indifferent, what problems (if any) to anticipate, and whether it's a good match for the reader's modeling skills.

Simple, concise kit reviews are a valuable resource, too. But lately, no one has been posting them. Everybody is putting up step by step build threads instead. We need more good old-fashioned Kit Reviews.

HERE'S MY SUGGESTION
    :
    When you build a kit, consider posting a kit review instead of a build thread. Include the basic facts about the kit, any problems you encountered and solutions you tried, and your overall assessment of the kit's difficulty, quality, and value for the money. There are plenty of good examples in the Kit Reviews section of this forum.

If you feel compelled to post a build thread (and I plead guilty on that count), also post a brief kit review in the "Kit Reviews" section, with a link to your build thread.

In your build thread, at the very least, post your ratings of the kit (difficulty, instructions, artwork, parts fit, quality, value, etc.) in a brief statement or bullet list at the end of your thread. And when you're done, edit that mini-review (like an executive summary) into the first post of your build thread, so it's easy to find.

None of this will require much extra effort and it will help make the forum more user-friendly.

No worries,
    --David
  2. sakrison

sakrison Member

I think the proliferation of "build threads" is great! It's a perfect way to share techniques and learn from other modelers.

HOWEVER . . . With all the responses thrown in, it can take a lot of reading and clicking to sort through a build thread and figure out whether or not a kit is good, bad, or indifferent, what problems (if any) to anticipate, and whether it's a good match for the reader's modeling skills.

Simple, concise kit reviews are a valuable resource, too. But lately, no one has been posting them. Everybody is putting up step by step build threads instead. We need more good old-fashioned Kit Reviews.

HERE'S MY SUGGESTION
    :
    When you build a kit, consider posting a kit review instead of a build thread. Include the basic facts about the kit, any problems you encountered and solutions you tried, and your overall assessment of the kit's difficulty, quality, and value for the money. There are plenty of good examples in the Kit Reviews section of this forum.

If you feel compelled to post a build thread (and I plead guilty on that count), also post a brief kit review in the "Kit Reviews" section, with a link to your build thread.

In your build thread, at the very least, post your ratings of the kit (difficulty, instructions, artwork, parts fit, quality, value, etc.) in a brief statement or bullet list at the end of your thread. And when you're done, edit that mini-review (like an executive summary) into the first post of your build thread, so it's easy to find.

None of this will require much extra effort and it will help make the forum more user-friendly.

No worries,
    --David
  3. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

This is a very good suggestion David. I'm guilty as charged as well. I think I'm coming up on building a couple of things that won't warrant a full build thread, but a thorough kit review once finished would certainly be of benefit.

Rick
  4. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

This is a very good suggestion David. I'm guilty as charged as well. I think I'm coming up on building a couple of things that won't warrant a full build thread, but a thorough kit review once finished would certainly be of benefit.

Rick