What we do in the Southern hemisphere

jimmybeersa

May 14, 2001
Alberton . South Africa
Our colder weather has arrived enabing me to get back into my loft after one very very HOT summer So here is this weeks production A corrigated cardboard bridge ...a.la Robin My first post in quite a while, Glad to be back

Attachments

• Steel Bridge.jpg
    Steel Bridge.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 54

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
I Like It!

Is that EVER cool! Well done, sir! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I also would love to see that on your layout.
icon_smile.gif

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Hello Jimmy - it's fine to hear from you again! :wave:

And I see, you didn't lose your talents in the hot Summer. :D The filigree bracing of the beams looks great! And yes - how did you do the rivets?

BTW - is this H0 or N scale?

Ron

jimmybeersa

May 14, 2001
Alberton . South Africa
The Rivets? I have some thin card... a throw away from our local printer, My wife donated
( after some gentle words and endearments) a wheel with a lot of spikes,I think it is for spacing stiches when doing hand sewing, I place a steel rule along the strip of card and make a line of holes turn it over and you have a line of make believe rivets, the white glue fills the holes made by the points of the wheel. will photgraph the wheel tomorrow and post it. Alternatively find a sprocket from and old clock or something that has gears that suits the spacing you want mount it on a handle after sharping the teeth to make indents on the card. works well on foil or copper sheet as well

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Thank you for the information, Jimmy.

I remember that my grandmother (she passed away a long time ago) had such a wheel. As a little boy I used it to run over cardboard to make rows of indentations - little did I know then that I was modeling rivetheads! :D :D :D

Now I'm off to a handcraft shop for women, looking for such a wheel. I'm already looking forward to the looks of the women behind the counter: "What, a M-A-N is buying such a thing??? Must be a weirdo, or worse..." :eek: :eek: :D

Ron

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Hi JImmy, the bridge looks great and its good to hear from you again. The wheel you speak of, or one like it, is called a ponce wheel. I have a set I got from MicroMark. This for the info of those who don't care to go to a sewing store!

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
jimmybeersa said:
The Rivets? My wife donated ( after some gentle words and endearments) a wheel with a lot of spikes,I think it is for spacing stiches when doing hand sewing,

Don't ask me how I know, but those wheels are used to transfer a pattern to material using carbon paper. You run the wheel along the pattern "cut" lines and it puts little dots on the material to follow when cutting.
Doc