What Track ? Between the Devil & The Deep Blue Sea

n_gineer

Jul 19, 2003
harrisburg pa.
Visit site
I know this has been brought up a million times but I don't want to make the wrong choice on track. I had an N layout several years ago with reg. Atlas track. It worked fine but this time I'm thinking Atlas code 55 or Uni track.

I bought a pack of Atlas code 55 straight to see how things worked on it. My engines (Kato ) didn't seem to interfere, one LL , GP 38-2 did hit the spikes. Most of my cars hit too. Here is what I'm trying to decide. I really like the looks of the Atlas code 55, but if I go that way, I have to change wheel sets. I want to use DCC and from what I see on here it works fine with the code 55. If I go with Uni track, I don't have the wheel problems (?) How does the Uni track work with DCC?

Atlas code 55 looks better to me but is it reliable as far as the trains staying on the track with low profile wheels ? I don't mind some extra work but I do want to be able to run my trains as trouble free as possible.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Welcome to the Gauge n_gineer
I too will look forward to hearing what others think. I have too much already invested in track to make any changesnow. I do think the code 55 looks super and would use it if just starting. As far as UNI track goes, I believe DCC would be fine as DCC would use the same track connectors as the DC ones use.

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Seems to me that one of the big concerns re track brand vs. DCC is the turnouts - are they DCC compatible or how hard are they to make them so, etc.

n_gineer

Jul 19, 2003
harrisburg pa.
Visit site
After a lot of mental debate I finally decided to go with Uni-track over the Atlas code 55. The reasoning behind this decision is: At age 60 I don't see so well and was not thrilled with the aspect of changing to low profile wheels, tinkering with switches and the hookups. I know that I'm giving up some detail as far as realism but over all I believe the Uni track will be a lot simpler for me to get an up and running system.

Now, can anyone point me in the right direction for information on the best way to paint or detail the Uni track?

Ted43

Jul 7, 2003
ON, Canada
www3.sympatico.ca
If you are going to use DCC you will want to have a separate bit of track, say 1 metre, to use as programming track. My advice is to use this to test various ideas on painting Unitrack. The two things you will probably want to do is colour the rail sides, and go over the ties to reduce the contrast. I like to use black for the rails but rust-like browns will also work. For the roadbed I like to use a grey the same shade as the plastic and thin it out - then go over the ties so they are still visible but not with so much contrast.

Painting Kato Unitrack for better appearance

Hello,

I have done some extensive experiments with painting N scale Kato Unitrack for better appearance.

Please see my Community Webshots page for more information:

http://community.webshots.com/user/atsf_arizona

Hope you get some good ideas, and let me know what you think and what you decide to do!

Feel free to ask further questions either here or off-line. I'm happy to share what I've found.

n_gineer

Jul 19, 2003
harrisburg pa.
Visit site
My Uni track came yesterday. Toytrain Heaven sure is fast. Tonite I was messing around with a caligraphy pen trying to get the rails to look a little rusty. It seemed to work ok until the pen played out. this could get a little on the costly side at $3.29 a pen per about 12 pcs. of track.

Also tried painting the rails. Too old and shakey for that . Tomorrow I'm going to see if I can find some cheaper pens. It's not that I'm cheap, I'm living on disability, raising to teenage grandchildren and trying to do a little N guaging. every penny counts. I guess maybe I am cheap. Used to be if I saw something I like, I bought it. Now here I am, just like a kid again wanting what I can't have. But I do have lots of time now.

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Originally posted by Ted43
If you are going to use DCC you will want to have a separate bit of track, say 1 metre, to use as programming track. My advice is to use this to test various ideas on painting Unitrack. The two things you will probably want to do is colour the rail sides, and go over the ties to reduce the contrast. I like to use black for the rails but rust-like browns will also work. For the roadbed I like to use a grey the same shade as the plastic and thin it out - then go over the ties so they are still visible but not with so much contrast.

I still have to make a programming track, all I did to get started was take all the loco's off the track as I programmed each one.