What to use for white lines?

Peter Walker

I have seen in a number of models the white lines left from folds and cuts. I had seen a video on youtube where a guy used a black sharpie to cover those up. What do some of the other folks here recommend? Would I be better served by using colored pencils or sharpies?

Lighter

TomBow water based markers if you can find them. Solvent based markers (Sharpie and most others) may dissolve your printer's ink if that is the source of the parts. Colored pencils can work if they are soft artist's pencils.

Certainly a basic black sharpie is better than white lines, cracks and scrapes.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I use water colour paints. That way I can mix the colours to get the one that I need easily. I use a very fine paint brush to colour the edges and to get into the tight corners where a pencil (or marker) can not (always) get to.

Kiyoshi

I use Faber-Castell watercolour pencils, and take the colour directly off the tip of the pencil, or - when I need a colour I don't have (I have a set of 10 pencils) - I create the colour on a piece of paper first and then take off the pigment with a slightly moist brush. The pigment of this particular brand of pencils is very vibrant and apparently very fade-resistant. The problem you will have with inkjet print-outs is that whenever you add water, the ink may spill... I tried using pastel chalk, but that didn't work out very nicely. The pigments stay 'dry' on the edges, and you need to brush off any excess pigment. Add to that the rather big size of pastel chalks, and you'll see that it won't work xD The last thing I tried was using the edges of pencils, but found that they, more often than not, will warp the paper.

Peter Walker

Thanks for the information. After asking the question today, I went to the local Wal-Mart and bought some Bic Permanent markers that came in 24 different colors.

sakrison

Banned
Sharpies bleed into and through the paper way too much. I use watercolor pencils or artist's felt-tip pens. You don't need an exact color match. In most cases, simply matching the contrast will do the trick. I keep about a dozen pencils or pens on hand -- several shades of gray, a couple of browns, greens, and blues.

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
I use a mix of water color paints and acrylic hobby paints, Vallejo Model Color is the current brand of choice