What to do if your lay out is flooed.

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
Some very good advice.

Dont let that stuff set aroun.d
I had this happen 3 times in a month and couldnt take care of my trains untill months later. They were in a storage locker.

Everything that was wet, soak it in clean soapy water untill you can work on it.

I didn't and the filth and mud ate off the paint, the dampness on what wasn't flooded rusted the rest.

The film of mud is impossible to get off after a while so dump the lot, engines and all in buckets of water to soak out the bad stuff and rinse them several times and dry them out.

Several conventional engines were junked up and rusted solid but by cleaning in running water repeatedly, cleaning with brass brushed and oiling I saved them. I had to hand push them back and forth on the drive way to break lose a few.

After oiling they ran ok. I had to repaint them.

The sooner you soak them the less rust and damage you will have.

Some of you guys up North have been hard, like wise in the South. You may not have the time now to do this what with other, more important loses and needs so as soon as you can just dump everything in large containers of clean soapy water to soak, it wont hurt them any further.

Electronic stuff, I can't speculate on, maybe just a quick rinse and then dry them quickly.

Doubtless many may disagree with me but this worked for me.

Even then I had a lot of work to do afterwards. Trucks and couplers needed wire brushings and iol and all the painted items suffered because do to weather and health, I could not begin on them soon enough.

All I can say is this is working for me now and would have save most all my stuff if I could have cleaned them this way 3 years ago.

Good luck.

Gil Finn,
3435 Rte. 66,
Hydo, OK.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Wow, a real bummer. Have you tried to put them in an ultrasonic cleaner? You can use anything from soap and water to something more abrasive or slightly solvent. I used mine the other day to clean some gun parts and used solvent. Not a good idea, the solvent heated and the whole unit got so hot it shut down. I've stripped down engines and put both the engine and the body in (not at the same time) and they cleaned up beatifully. Harbor Freight has a small unit on sale at our local store for under $30. If you don't have a store nearby, you can order on their web site or by phone.

You may lose some paint, but you should be able to get the film and grim off.

Good luck.

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
That is an idae., the vibrator.

A gun smath told me he uses laquer thinner to clean with...works but..KLOOM!!i f it gets to a flame.

Most of what is left is plastic and a lot of tin plate which will need striping and repainting. I have some nice standard gauge and a ton of track and switches, now all rusted into a hunk.:cry: