What the...............!

P

philip

Can some one illustrate or tell me how this coal chute goes together? This kit is a pain in the rear. The print is horrible.

philip:mad:

P

philip

The chute and gate actually assembled with no problem. It seems some of the parts are missing. Should the kit have counterweights to operate the chute? Any pictures out there would be helpful !

thanks again,

philip:)

Attachments

• tichy1.jpg
    tichy1.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 271

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Phillip,
My modules are at the library, as part of program there, so I can't get to the coal tower to shoot a new pic. I had this shot, and was able to "zoom in" using my photo program, so it's not the clearest picture.
The chain, at the end of the chute, goes up to a pulley, and down to the counterweight (the little discs on the sprue), you can see them just above the gate assembly. The pulley is on the shaft, under the small awning style roof, and is operated by a long chain, and large pulley, left of the roof, that chain hangs down to where it can be reached from the tender, by the fireman.
Just to the left of the gate assembly, you see another large pulley, this is also chain operated, and the shaft goes to the gate.
Hope the shot is clear enough to see how I set this up, you can use any variation you chose.
Pete

Attachments

• coalchute.jpg
    coalchute.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 205
P

philip

Pete, Thanks for the info! I was beginning to think this would be a dead thread.

philip :)

This coal chute is a fairbanks morse. I have searched the web and not a whole lot of info on coal tipples...again thanks

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Originally posted by philip
Pete, Thanks for the info! I was beginning to think this would be a dead thread.

philip :)

This coal chute is a fairbanks morse. I have searched the web and not a whole lot of info on coal tipples...again thanks

Either RMC or MR did an article or series on Fairbanks-Morse coaling towers a few years ago. I think it may have been RMC.

P

philip

Thanks Russ, I'll check the old issues at the train club.

philip:)