What the heck is this?

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
The results of a really time consuming and frustrating attempt to post a picture directly to the Gauge, rather than through a link. The photo, if it shows up, is by cn nutbar, and is of a couple of his CNR locos crossing Chippawa Creek.

Wayne

Attachments

• 2005 trains 016.jpg
    2005 trains 016.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 295

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Thanks guys, on behalf of Mister nutbar and myself. The main reason it took so long was that I had forgotten how to move pictures after I'd resized them. Then, when attempting to post them, they kept showing up as "too big". The size by megawhatsits was okay, but the size by kilobuggers was too big. I just kept shrinking the pixel size until it went through, but can anybody explain to me the relationship between megapixels and kilobytes? I get the feeling that the picture should be larger than it is.

Wayne

CPR9100

Mar 12, 2006
All I know Wayne is that's a great looking shot :thumb:

Stevetrain97
Blind Bay BC. Canada

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
I have a Photo-editing program(MS Picture It v10) that let me saves it for the web in different sizes(thumbnail, small, med, large). Maybe you can try something like that.
Pics I take with my 4.0 megawhatzits camera usually are excepted here in the medium web view. Pics I take with my 1.5 megawhatzits camera(Which has me stymied) will only be excepted in the small view.
Oh...Did I mention nice pic...

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
The maximum size in pixels is 640 x 480. But with a jpeg (jpg) there are additional issues, especially when using Photoshop to resize. P'shop gives you quality options as well when saving on a sliding scale of 1 - 10. I have found that anything above 6 produces a file that is too big, even though its dimensions are 640 x 480.
To further confuse things, I have found that the newest P'shop (CS2) creates bigger files than older versions - even when all the settings are exactly the same!

Val

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I'm using PictureIt Express to do the resizing, and after a lot of experimentation (I always hate to click on an option that I'm not familiar with, lest I get led too far away from where I am). I shrank the pixel size, I shrank the resolution, all to no avail. The picture here was finally cut down to 500 whatevers wide, with the height kept proportional. I think it's around 60 kbytes: below the limit for posting here, anyway. I finally got brave (fed-up) and clicked on "Options" in the program, and found a sliding scale to set compression, supposedly at the expense of picture quality. After more fooling around, I was able to take a photo that I had cut down to the 480 X 640 size, at, I think, 600 ppi, set the sliding scale at 20 (if I recall correctly, the higher the number, the worse the picture quality) and ended up with a photo that I posted in the March Photo Contest. My monitor, an early, steam-powered model, doesn't give me a very good idea of the way the picture appears when it's posted (almost no red tones, so all of the colour is "off"). The photo is one that I've used before, and while I like it, there are already better ones posted there. However, I figure that I'm a winner anyway just 'cause I managed to get the damn thing posted. By the way, the original picture on the cd is about 1200 kbytes.

Wayne

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Thanks Val, every snippet of information helps. I used the 600 setting with the idea that it might help to offset whatever picture quality might have been lost due to the compression step, although that was just another of my wild guesses.
One of the reasons that I tried to learn this procedure is to avoid having to update some of my older threads, where the Photobucket picture disappears after a period of inactivity, but perhaps it might be best to let those threads fade away. I'm not sure how many people actually go back more than a page or two, unless they're looking for something specific.

Wayne

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
doctorwayne said:
I'm not sure how many people actually go back more than a page or two, unless they're looking for something specific.

Lots of us do. It's one of my pet peeves about some of the other boards that only allow photo linking, as opposed to the Gauge where you can actually upload. There's nothing more frustrating than finding the info you're looking for but all the photos are gone.

So please ... stick with it. :D :D

BTW, there's a free program called Gimp that resizes photos and a whole lot more.

Val

Art67

Apr 18, 2005
Baltimore
Great photo, Wayne- I really like the lighting you use on your photos-produces a very natural looking lighting effect. Of course, the excellent modeling and scenery doesn't hurt either. Great job as always. Stuart.

tonyevans

Dec 17, 2005
dog222cg.gif
dog222cg.gif