What The Gauge is/is not

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
The Gauge is, at it's most basic, a place for all levels of modelers to meet and share their questions, knowledge,experience,passion for this hobby, and if nothing else, a pat on the back and an encouraging word for someone trying their best. Without exception, that I know about, Any sincere question is politely answered (no matter how many times it has been asked before). I look back at my first posts and I cringe...I knew NOTHING! But what doesn't make me cringe are the responses members of The Gauge gave to a guy asking "The same ol' questions". Intelligent, thoughtful, helpful and on many occasions, funny advice and constructive criticism. I nor anyone else to my knowledge has ever been "talked down to" or made to feel that their opinion or work didn't matter. But I've seen much more important things happening here than talking about a hobby. There are people here with life issues (health, finances, family, births and even sometimes, sadly, death) who are willing to bring all of us into their world even if all we can do is laugh or cry with them or offer encouragement and tell them we care. The only reason a person would share those intimate details of their lives is because they know they will find caring and responsive people they can have trust in. In a word, FRIENDS. That's what The Gauge is, a group of friends getting together. Oh yeah, what The Gauge is not?...just another model railroad forum................A special thanks to all the administrator/moderators...you make it all possible....thanks for all your hard work!

C

Catt

Thanks for the pat on the back Steve.

From it's very first breath the Gauge has strived to be a place where any and all modelers are welcome.We do have one unwritten rule that is practiced by everyone of us that I know of.What rule you might ask is that? The simple answer is that there is no such thing as a dumb question.If you don't know what something is or how something is done the only way to find out is to ask.

Just because someone asked that very same question 2 years ago doesn'ty mean that the new guy (or gal :) ) was here to read the answer.

By the way it's always nice to read that we as mods and administrators are doing a good job but the regular members are also a very big part of that.I personally thank you for all the kind words.

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
I will say that I have never seen a better website regardless of subject matter for courtesy and sticking with the subject matter.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Ahhh...what you newcomers don't see is the rather surly looking hairy knuckled Canadian "emissaries" toting large caliber weapons that keep us more ornary old-timers in line.:thumb:

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
We are humbled by the quality, generousity and friendliness of those that choose to call the Gauge "home". I came here over three years ago and stayed for these very reasons. Although a few of the faces change from time to time, we always seem to maintain this relationship regardless. I for one wouldn't want to see it any other way, and it seems like I'm not alone.:D I've also got to say that I've gotten back far more than I've given, it seems like if you ask a question or need help in any way, you've got the support you need almost instantaneously.:wave:

The Gauge staff works at keeping it this way, but the members here really make that task easy.:thumb: :thumb:

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Steve, I've never seen a better description of the nature of our forum. And I also think that the way the members are respecting each other instead of flaming around must be a VERY rare thing on the web.

Yep, that's why I always open the website of the Gauge first whenever I start surfing. (And to be honest, oftentimes I simply stay here and forget about surfing altogether.)

Kudos and hats off to the moderators who are doing a great job in the background :thumb::thumb::thumb:, and also a big Thank You to each and every contributor - there's always something new to learn! :)

Ron

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Ahhh...what you newcomers don't see is the rather surly looking hairy knuckled Canadian "emissaries" toting large caliber weapons that keep us more ornary old-timers in line
Bob, the "mythbusters" have that one on their agenda.:D
Steve, Thankyou. As Catt said, it is the members who make this place comfortable. It wouldn't be "home" without "family".
Pete

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Steve, thanks for summing up the way most of us feel about this place - our cozy little home in the vastness of cyberspace - a place where you're assured of a warm welcome, a friendly smile and plenty of advice and encouragement. :D

Val

Knighthawk

Feb 1, 2006
I couldn't have put it any better myself, I've been to other forums, and it seems to me like there's waaaaaaaay too much flaming:curse: , bashinghamr , and just plain ill will out there:rolleyes: . That's why I stick to The Gauge. In a hobby that is supposed to be relaxing, and friendly, there is just no room for that kind of garbage. Here, you get all the answers you could ever hope for, and all the support you need, not just for model railroading, but for anything that is going on in your life. The members here are a real family, in every sense of the word. My thanks go out to everyone working at The Gauge, as well as all of the members here, for making it the great place that it is!:thumb:

kirkendale

May 24, 2004
in 3 simple words

:wave: Nazgul, not only did you give an accurate description but in 4 simple words you also summed up what the Gauge is…. “The Gauge is…constructive…” :thumb: Like RailRon, I to open the Gauge first. Most times it is the links of the members or links provided by them that start my journey in to the web. This summer I have book marked more sites provided from the Gauge than I had before the summer began.

announce1 Thank you all.

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Steve, you are right, the Gauge is a strange place. Where are all the rude and unfriendly people, you find nearly everywhere on the internet? There seems to be something frightening about the good will and friendliness here at The Gauge that keeps them away (or do the moderators check everyone who wants to become a member? CIA?). I am glad that I found this place, where I can meet friends and "talk" about our hobby.