What The??? (caution: large image)

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
I was out railfanning at Delaware, OH today and saw this. At first glance, I thought the gates were just in the process of being replaced, and the old one hadn't been removed yet. But then I noticed not only how new these were, but saw the old ones laying not far away. There is some kind of small CSX service facility right next to this crossing.

Could it be that the smaller gate is for the sidewalk, and pedestrian traffic? I've never seen anything like this before.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Yes, the large Giant size is for the vehicles and school buses :) The "Little Brother" is for those pedestrians that think they are immortal, to remind them that however immortal they "think" they are ..... They are still not allowed to cross the tracks in front of an oncoming train...

Yes, people ARE stupid.. no matter where you live, someone will actually think and I Quote:

"Nah - those bar thingies are only for cars - -People can cross in front of trains and not get hit" hamr hamr hamr hamr hamr

Just remember - that these "less intelligent" members of the human race, are usually short lived and end up with a "Darwin Award" :( :( :(

Reason I know this one.. is we have a major intersection near me - 5 roads meeting at a RR grade crossing....

All 4 sidewalks and all 5 roads have Crossbucks... When a train comes through - the streetlights dim sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Although not very common, I have seen those smaller gates too. Like mentioned above, they are for pedestrian traffic. Not everyone thinks to stop for a train, but those who don't...

CCT70

Jun 25, 2003
We have the little gates here in a few locations in and around Stockton as well. The local kids have figured out that they'll lift a 80 pound kid right off the ground and use them as such. To each his own I guess...

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Of the few that I've seen around here, the pedestrian gate is mounted on the same base as the larger gate. For stopping idiots on foot,they're even more ineffective than the large gates are for stopping the idiots in cars.

Wayne

fsm1000

Jun 4, 2006
Coquitlam BC
fsm1000.googlepages.com
I have seen them as well. Not common but they should be if only to protect the trains from the idiots LOL. They make a horrible mess :p

Anyhow, no matter what you do, some people are going to take risks to the detriment of others.