What sound decoders fit in Athearns?

Nick8564

Im looking for a sound decoder to go into a SW1500. I a decoder with functions, motor control, and sound. Has anyone found one that will fit in these two? Thanks

Russ Bellinis

I personally stay away from sound decoders, I'm afraid it is too much like drugs-LOL. I think the loksound decoders are small enough to fit. You will probably need to either machine a bigger hole in the fuel tank and modify the motor mount to allow the sound system to fit in the tank, or mount it in the cab. If the Loksound decoder is small enough, you might be able to mount it vertically in the front of the cab, and mock up a control stand and firewall to hide it. The Tsunami may also be small enough to fit. I haven't seen either one, but I understand that both are extremely small.

Mattoon

I have an MRC decoder in an SD 40-2. The speaker is mounted to the top of the cab roof. It has a small connector so the shell can be seperated from the chassis if need be. I think it sounds pretty good. Not as good as a BLI, but great for the price.
I am not sure how many decoders with sound I would want though. If I am not running this loco, it gets annoying after a while, LOL.

Mattoon said:
I have an MRC decoder in an SD 40-2. The speaker is mounted to the top of the cab roof. It has a small connector so the shell can be seperated from the chassis if need be. I think it sounds pretty good. Not as good as a BLI, but great for the price.
I am not sure how many decoders with sound I would want though. If I am not running this loco, it gets annoying after a while, LOL.

Turn the sound down to localize it.

David

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
you could do it like atlas and mount them on a tilt in the long hood... It would certainly work in the "fatty" athearn blue boxes from the past.