What Shamus gave me.

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
I never considered a logging layout until I met shamus. He opened my eyes to the colorful combinations possible with a logging layout. He opened my eyes when it came to scratch building stuff for the layout. Especially his saw mill! WOW! If you don't know already, he made all the machinery himself (as well as the building, but that goes without saying) And how about those engines he bashed up. I would give my eye teeth for just one of 'em. What a fertile mind. He made me laugh too, with his pix and scenario. How proud I was to tell my friend that I know the guy who wrote the article in this MRC.

I'll miss his presents here on the Gauge. What way did shamus influence you. Would you share it here?

TrainClown :wave:

Shamus was always encouraging with compliments on modeling even though he was light years ahead of many of us. :thumb:

His work is an inspiration in detailing.

And I hear that he's a cracking good harmonica player too. :cool: :thumb:

You can find him if you need him. :)

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
The desire to go back over for a visit to Europe, if only specifically to meet with him and a few other Gaugers...
Also, that even the GREATEST sees flaws in their work...
And that putting up a layout doesn't have to take years, upon years...
And that a major health problem doesn't mean you can't do your dreams.

jmarksbery

Sep 25, 2002
Butler, Kentucky USA
members.aol.com
:D Paul Templer was, is, and always will be a friend of mine. He comes to me as a living legend. John Allen was my first hero, but he had died before I got into the hobby, but still he set a standard that I am still trying to reach. There were a couple of others, one being Malcom Furlow, I wouldn't miss an article, a TV production or miss the chance to meet him at a show in my area. I meet him in person at one show and my wife and son had to listen to me carry one for a month. Shamus I place right there with them, with one exception, Shamus will call you a friend, he will return your e-mail, he will talk to you in a chat room, and he will answer your questions on a forum. He is more than willing to help anyone, a newbie or a pro. He IS the best living day moddler (to me) bar none. He is the reason I came to the Gauge, to learn and watch in awe of his work. I am also a member of HIS new forum and enjoy it very much as it is all about model railroading at its best. I have his CD's and even a tune he played on his harp. To me he is a Great Man, Teacher and my Friend as he is Yours.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
I have known Paul for a few years now before the advent of forums like this. We traded e-rail passes and signed each others guest books we had on our websites. We were members of web rings and such. The first forum I saw Paul posting at was Trainboard in its infancy. Then along came the Gauge. It wa partly due tp Pauls influence that I started scratchbuilding. I still make it apoint to visit Pauls website every so often. He had a downloadable version of his harmonica playing there. Not something he can do anymore unfortunately

rcwatkins

Jul 4, 2003
TN
Visit site
Let's see.... The Gauge wouldn't be what it is without him today
I really don't have much to say on this because I didn't chat much with him.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Nice thread, Chris ;)

What Paul has given me words can't describe, and there wouldn't be enough room here to try. Above all what he gave me, above inspiration to model, to photograph, above ideas, guidance and advice, above standards to achieve, and above above gifts, he gave me the most increadable frendship, and he gave me his love. We have the type of friendship that is never ending. He will never be gone from my heart, and I shall never forget him and our wonderful times together, no matter what shall happen in our physical world :)

God Bless you Paul.

For years we have passed small gifts back and forth, from MRRing trinkets to loco's and structures. I have kept them mostly to myself. Perhaps I shall photo and post a few in this thread.

I've always thought, our most valuable physical asset to modeling is our junk box. One of the most valuable gifts Paul gave me was his old junk box. Actually boxes. boxes and boxes, of itty bitty parts to detail scenes with. Now, both spiritually, and often physically, there is a little Shamus in everything I make :cool:

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
trainclown,
A heap o' thanks for starting this thread! I've only known Paul for the couple of years I've been here on the gauge. One of the things I've learned here is that no matter how good I think I've gotten, there's always something that someone else can do better. I found many of those "somethings" in paul's work. I am proud to be the owner of one of his locos, and honored that he wanted this caboose for his Badger Creek RR. I did this kitbash, because he suggested it, and then gave it to him.

Attachments

• bobbercnr1.jpg
    bobbercnr1.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 95