What mistake have you done and what have you learn about it.

jasbourre

What mistake have you done and what have you learn about it.

The Mistake :curse:
The other day, I was poring glue (50/50) on the layout and I was going to spread it with a paint brush, well the glue was not coming out, so I squeezed a little harder, Opps to hard, the lid pop of and I had glue every where, hum thinking do I get the camera, no go for the paper towels, well about a hole roll later I got the mess cleaned up.:cry:

The Lesson Learn announce1
Make sure the glue bottle is well cleaned, and always have paper towels near by.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Take the recommendation regarding color coded wiring seriously. Trying to locate electrical problems on my layout takes about three times longer because I have trouble identifying which wire is which!

For me it would be getting loads of OO scale rolling stock while modelling HO road vehicles and scenery. I now look more closely at items I find and have to make extra sure they are adaptable. Some would say that they are to the same scale, but it would take a lot to convince me nowadays!

stripes

Well, as jasbourre can tell you I made a mighty fine diorama of a pond (he saw it at the show this weekend) It was suposed to be a display for shows, and an access panel on my layout. Guess what? It dosen`t fit! Now I have to relocate some tracks!
Measure twice, cut once!!!

ejen34

My mistake was not paying attention to lighting the area around my layout, when doing it over thats the second thing I'd focus on after completing my trackplan. :thumb:

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
making a huge square layout, instead of an "Around the wall" layout..... :( I can't "easily" reach 1/3 of my layout :( :( :(

kf4jqd

Walther's passenger cars:
When the instructions says to use a minuim of a 24" raduis. Listen to them. Don't try to use an 18"!!!!

Another thing I did was not using enough screws to told the table top down. It began to warp. Warping the track too, causing derailments.:curse:

And another: If you have a large layout. Have more than one power connection to the track. (If you don't use DCC).

I have many more. I am using my mistakes to not repeat them on my N scale layout.

You learn by your mistakes so you don't repeat them! It's nice to have a forum so other people can share theirs so you don't repeat them either!:thumb:

Andy:wave:

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
The biggest mistake in life you can make is admittimg you made the biggest mistake of your life.
Building a layout in the attic...without a/c.

jcoop1

Mine, Is jumping scales.
HO as a kid, always thought N was cool.
1.5 years ago started with N
1 year ago started with HO
.9 year ago switched to On30.

I do love On30, but I hate to think what is next. G? Oh I do have two of those also... Those are for "Christmas"

I guess I've got to many to mention. Here are a couple noteables;

I've got a turnout I can't easily reach and an under the table switch motor for it that ended up getting completed boarded up by framing. God help us if that area ever fouls up...

I puffed some graphite into coupler boxes while the rolling stock was on the track. That stuff got spread around EVERYWHERE and locos not only lost all traction, but began sliding down grades like they were tobaggan runs.

stripes

Ya right!!!

sumpter250 said:
I don't make mistakes! I meticulously plan, and lovingly craft new learning experienses.:D

Would anyone like to buy a great bridge in New York?? LMAO!!!!

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
EngineerKyle said:
I puffed some graphite into coupler boxes while the rolling stock was on the track. That stuff got spread around EVERYWHERE and locos not only lost all traction, but began sliding down grades like they were tobaggan runs.
Funny, funny!

1. I planned a whole layout using the measurements from some existing Atlas switches. Then, after I marked everything out, I decided to go with PECO switches instead, assuming they had the same dimensions as the Atlas swtiches. They don't.

2. As I was building up the foam on my layout, I would go to the home improvement store and buy just a few sheets at a time. Guess what? Turns out the thickness of those sheets can vary from batch to batch. Now I've got to shape the foam just a tad between certain joints so that there is not an abrupt rise in track elevation.

RobertInOntario

Mistake: Planning & building a layout as I go. This can be fun and creative, but you can run into places where the track doesn't line up & you have lots of derailments until you spend hours trouble-shooting it.
Lesson: Always follow track plans or at least take adequate time planning the layout in advance.

I've made lots of other mistakes too but I'm having fun!

91rioja

The first time you do it, it is a "learning experience".

The second time you do it, it is a "mistake".

The third time you do it, it is "plain stupid ignorance".

Building my around the walls with a second level, and realizing that in the long tunnels, there was no way to get a derailed train out; I left no access holes anywhere.

Not following my design which called for 5 sections bolted together so I could remove the layout if we ever moved. The benchwork was in 5 sections, but when I put the plywood down, to create more stability, I went opposite of the benchwork, and the foam went down in another manner. Now, to remove the layout from the room will call for a) knocking out the north facing exterior wall, or b) a REALLY big hammer. Needless to say, construction came to a halt when the "little people" working for the railroad decided to strike due to the incompetence of the track planner.

Pitchwife

Dreamer
TrainNut said:
Funny, funny!

1. I planned a whole layout using the measurements from some existing Atlas switches. Then, after I marked everything out, I decided to go with PECO switches instead, assuming they had the same dimensions as the Atlas swtiches. They don't.

Use track planning software or stencils that takes into account what you will be using. The first track plan I did would have had some 8" diameter curves (in HO) and several places that would require a 7' reach to get at. :rolleyes: