What kit maker do you like best?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by mellotronage, Apr 19, 2007.

1. mellotronage

mellotronage Member

We all have favorites, no matter what the subject. What paper/card company or companies do you favor when deciding what to build and why? Or does it matter to you at all?....
    With my limited experience, I particularly like JF Schreiber and Wilhelmshavener of Germany. Reason being, their graphics and design seem to be first rate. I've enjoyed them because they're a challenge, but with little guesswork as to how they're supposed to go together~ a key component for someone who's new to paper. But again, I've only built a few to date, so I'm kinda fishing around for opinions on possible choices for the future..... Thanks!
  2. mellotronage

mellotronage Member

We all have favorites, no matter what the subject. What paper/card company or companies do you favor when deciding what to build and why? Or does it matter to you at all?....
    With my limited experience, I particularly like JF Schreiber and Wilhelmshavener of Germany. Reason being, their graphics and design seem to be first rate. I've enjoyed them because they're a challenge, but with little guesswork as to how they're supposed to go together~ a key component for someone who's new to paper. But again, I've only built a few to date, so I'm kinda fishing around for opinions on possible choices for the future..... Thanks!
  3. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

My favorite is Halinski for fit, finish, and assembly diagrams.
    The second is Modelik for all the above reasons and subject matter as well as the number of kits they produce at reasonable prices.
    Following at a close third is GPM.

Russell
  4. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

My favorite is Halinski for fit, finish, and assembly diagrams.
    The second is Modelik for all the above reasons and subject matter as well as the number of kits they produce at reasonable prices.
    Following at a close third is GPM.

Russell
  5. Wily

Wily Member

Halinski for pre-print.

ModelArt for download.
  6. Wily

Wily Member

Halinski for pre-print.

ModelArt for download.
  7. shrike

shrike Guest

IN a lot of cases it comes down to choosing the individual that designed the kit, rather than the company that published it. Some of the really good ones have designs under more than one brand.
  8. shrike

shrike Guest

IN a lot of cases it comes down to choosing the individual that designed the kit, rather than the company that published it. Some of the really good ones have designs under more than one brand.
  9. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Everything mentioned, plus, Micromodels...for premium kits.

But, I am partial to all the free downloads made by guys like you and me.
    There are tens of thousands of free downloads and most are still online.

Click HERE for my favorite free thumbnail site (thanks Civi).
  10. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Everything mentioned, plus, Micromodels...for premium kits.

But, I am partial to all the free downloads made by guys like you and me.
    There are tens of thousands of free downloads and most are still online.

Click HERE for my favorite free thumbnail site (thanks Civi).
  11. Darwin

Darwin Member

I'm not sure I really have a favorite publisher/designer. If the measure is which publisher have I built the most kits, it would have to be either Maly Modelarz or JSC. I also have a soft spot in my heart (or is it in my head) for Watkins kits. This has to be tempered by my preferring a good challenge to redraw/re-engineer marginal or basket case kits into something that is at least presentable.
  12. Darwin

Darwin Member

I'm not sure I really have a favorite publisher/designer. If the measure is which publisher have I built the most kits, it would have to be either Maly Modelarz or JSC. I also have a soft spot in my heart (or is it in my head) for Watkins kits. This has to be tempered by my preferring a good challenge to redraw/re-engineer marginal or basket case kits into something that is at least presentable.
  13. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

I like 3D Paper. The kits are very good quality and go together well. They make a good selection of figurines, that I don't think are covered by any other manufacturer.
  14. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

I like 3D Paper. The kits are very good quality and go together well. They make a good selection of figurines, that I don't think are covered by any other manufacturer.
  15. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

Halinski :)
  16. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

Halinski :)
  17. Kaz

Kaz Member

Funnily enough, I have yet to buy a commercial kit, those I keep going back to, with quivering fingers are Halinski and GPM, but thats probably because of their subject matter
  18. Kaz

Kaz Member

Funnily enough, I have yet to buy a commercial kit, those I keep going back to, with quivering fingers are Halinski and GPM, but thats probably because of their subject matter
  19. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

GPM- Just the right amount of detail- I find Halinski OTT usually. I'm talking about the number of teeny parts and stuff I just don't care to build. Fly's newer kits are getting really good too.
  20. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

GPM- Just the right amount of detail- I find Halinski OTT usually. I'm talking about the number of teeny parts and stuff I just don't care to build. Fly's newer kits are getting really good too.