What is your favorite RailRoads?

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
The Lines of the Twin Ports without a doubt.Now this includes a variety,but what a variety!!
Mainline Haulers-GN,NP,SOO,CN,Milw,CNW,UP,CB&Q,BN,BNSF
Ore Haulers-DM&IR,GN,NP,SOO,BNSF
Bridgelines-DM&IR, DW&P
Shortline-D&NE

Now as an example,The Main freight haulers to the area were the Great Northern and the Northern Pacific.However to give you an idea of the amount of rail traffic the twin ports had in the sixties,
The SOO ran 9 locals every day 7 days a week in the Duluth-Superior area.And they werent hauling 1/10th the freight of the other 2.That is alot of traffic.
And How can you beat the sheer dominating structure of an Ore Dock??
Granted we will all have a favorite for 1 reason or another.Mine is of course based on the fact i grew up a stones throw from the original DM&IR roundhouse(the one built in the late 1800'snot the new one built in the 20's)and while they werent in mainline service anymore,watching an M-class Steamer steaming ore in the yard was a sight to awe any youngun.

Attachments

• dm&ir 2-8-8-4 m3 #227.jpg
    dm&ir 2-8-8-4 m3 #227.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 162

Nscale4

Jan 14, 2004
does it matter?
Visit site
My favorite railroad(s) are CSX,NS,UP,& West Tenn. shortline. I like up because when I was a little kid they let me get one a loco & start it. I got some water in return. :D Wish I had a camera then. :(

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
OK..........C&O, B&O, D&H, LIRR, Sumpter Valley Railway, Western Pacific, SP&S, D&RG (narrow gauge), C&NW.
Then there's the Sag Harbor Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Wiscasset Bucksport & Schoodic Point, Shinnecock Hills Lumber Co., Sagaponack Montauk & Cindys Harbor,(Hey, I wouldn't have named them if they weren't my favorites):D :D :D

ceebeenq

Jan 29, 2002
Visit site
favorites

A little late on this thread, but :( I have some favorites I never saw. Thanks to books and magazines, I've become a big fan of my namesake road, and WP- which was part of UP before I ever saw any of it, but have railfanned its territory several times. Spectacular! I worked for C&NW so they are up there.
Also by way of history have really started to appreciate NKP and the Wabash: ballsy smallish railroads that ran hotshot trains. The Great Northern and NP are great ones because of their expanse and rugged territory also.
I could keep going, (DRGW! ATSF!) but maybe I'll keep my favorites list to under a dozen. ;) :D :thumb:
cbnQ

Ri

Thanks Guys for the Rock Island pictures! If you are a RI fan and want a picture CD. Email me your address. I have a CD with over 200MB of RI pictures on it that I have downloaded off the internet!

My other favorit road is The southern. My Grandfather was an engineer on it before WWII.

Andy

Attachments

• ROCKETSTheGauge.jpeg
    ROCKETSTheGauge.jpeg
    15.7 KB · Views: 150

Iron Goat

Apr 9, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
Even though I worked for the NYC, and then Penn Central... my favorites are two roads from my childhood up in the north country, the Great Northern, and the Montana Western Railway.

Bob

jdscales040

Sep 6, 2004
Wind Gap, PA
www.angelfire.com
I too am a little late in responding, but my favorites in order of importance are;

#1 The B&O My grandfather was a locomotive engineer running out of Brooklyn Jct., (New Martinsville) WV and an uncle who was a locomotive engineer working out of Glenwood (Pittsburgh), PA.

#2 The EL I worked for the EL (ERIE side) from 1967 to 1976. Enjoyed every minute.

#3 Conrail 1976-1999 R.I.P. many many great times and one heck of a lot of good friends.

#4 NYS&W Heck I grew up with the Squeek. Passiac Jct, BT, Rochelle Park Bridge and Little Ferry.

#5 CNJ gotta love those H-24-66's ans H-15-44's.

#6 NS My last employer and good people.

John D.