What Is Your Favorite Diesel Locomotive

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Nice shot of the Areotrain CN1! Here I found it up close and personal at the Green Bay National Railrod Museum.

Great pic of the Soo switchers Rich! Lots of neat photos in this thread!!
Ralph

Attachments

• auto.jpg
    auto.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 145

trainworm

my favorite is kinda a tie between the SD90MAC-H and the C60AC. they both have a mean look about them. like they were built to pull down a mountain. second would be the E9. those are just plain beautiful locomotives. and next would be the GP60. it has that utilitarian, military like no nonsense look to it.

Raildog

My first Santa Fe Image taken at Fort Madison, IA June 22, 1986. I have loved GP30s ever since.

sf2770jackson.jpg

Raildog

Burlington E5s and E6s were magical machines for a young boy who got the chance to get to LaGrange IL and watch the Burlingtons passenger train racetrack.

IMG_0070.sized.jpg

SundayNiagara

I like most early diesels and the FP45. How about an Alco RSD-15? Boy do we need one in N Scale. Even better, how about one in ATSF Zebra stripes. I was unable to find a picture.
Mark

Raildog

It's very hard to pick a favorite, especially when there are so many cool ones to choose from!

Here is a shot taken at Corwith yard in Chicago 1987 I believe.
AtSFFP45100640-vi.jpg

Raildog

This #100 and sister #101 were the first units repainted in the classic WarBonnet scheme under the direction of ATSF president Mike Haverty. These were both FP45's. I'm not sure of their original numbers.

Attachments

• atsf fp45 101 640.jpg
    atsf fp45 101 640.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 83

Raildog

LiveSteamer, thanks for the nice compliments. I can't take credit for the E-5 picture. I found it on the CB&Q historical society site. My apologies for not crediting them.

After doing a little research, I found out that the #100 pictured was originally #100, then 5940, 5990, 100 (as pictured) and later #90. I'm not sure if she still survives. The #101 pictured was originally #102, then 5942, 5992, then 101 (as pictured) and later #92. Not sure of her fate either.

These engines were made to wear bold schemes! I also love them in Kodachrome... I know I have a few pictures of those somewhere...

Speaking of Kodachrome. Some of the first units so painted, head west at McCook, Illinois. A hint that something special was coming by that day was a rare appearance by Joe McMillan at trackside.

Attachments

• kodachrome x 4 640.jpg
    kodachrome x 4 640.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 76

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
Raildog,
You are welcome for the compliments. That picture you have right there is from when talks were going on between the Santa Fe and The Southern Pacific right? Do you know why the merger did not go through?

Russ Bellinis

Originally posted by LiveSteamer
Raildog,
You are welcome for the compliments. That picture you have right there is from when talks were going on between the Santa Fe and The Southern Pacific right? Do you know why the merger did not go through?

ICC said no. The two lines started painting when they were so sure the merger would go through that the government turning them down caught them completely off guard. The plan was to label all motive power S.P.S.F. so the S.P. units had the Kodachrome scheme with just the S.P. while the S.F. units had just the S.F. After the merger was turned down, wags called the scheme "Shouldn't Paint So Fast." Many people blame the U. P. for influencing the ICC, but I wonder if it just wasn't governemnt employees telling the two companies not to take them for granted.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
WHOOOO-HOOOO!!!!! Glad I checked back in!!!! :thumb:
Love those beauties!!!
Thanks!!!!!!!!
Ralph
PS.What road was 721 originally?