What is this? Why is it in the midwest?

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by Rusty Spike, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Rusty Spike

Rusty Spike Member

I found this this sitting quietly on a siding on a business trip today. What and why?

Attached Files:

2. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

That's where I left it! No idea bud. Fred
  3. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

RMSX is Harsco Track technologies. Pandrol Jackson was a company that ran rail grinding trains. Formerly Speno.
    RMSX 0401 is one of the locomotives from their train RMS-4. Ex CR GP38 rebuilt by Speno with an extended cab and a cowl-type body.
    Somewhere, there should be a train with 2 coaches, a couple of tank cars, 3 grinding cars and 2 power cars, and a mate to 0401.
    (Info from Canadian Trackside Guide 2004)
  4. Rusty Spike

Rusty Spike Member

Very good - I googled PJ and found this:

Attached Files:

5. Rusty Spike

Rusty Spike Member

Here's some more insight - the unit was sitting on Fairmont Tamper/Harsco property in Fairmont, Minnesota. They were working on building or re-building one of these grinding trains. Two friendly workers told me this was the water car that follows the grinding cars - it sprays water to douse fires started by the sparks from the rail grinding process. The water is car was hooked to a crew car painted in the same bright yellow.

Attached Files:

6. Rusty Spike

Rusty Spike Member

A few more pics. . . Also, there's quite a bit of info on an anti-trust case, US vs. Harsco/PJ and Harsco was ordered to sell it's rail grinding (specifically switch and crossing grinding assets). ???

Attached Files:

7. railohio

railohio Active Member

TRAINS magazine did an article on a rail grinder a few years ago and it may have been the Pandrol Jackson outfit. If I come across the article I'll let you guys know what issue it was in.
  8. Rusty Spike

Rusty Spike Member

Thanks BS - I would appreciate that.
  9. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

The passenger cars in the trains are ex- GO transit coaches (the 1967 single deckers). Each train has a sleeper and a diner.
  10. Rusty Spike

Rusty Spike Member

I wondered about the sleepers - the cars have at least 10 AC/heating units on top - just like you would see on a camper/motor home.