what is this "beast"??

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Matt Probst, Nov 17, 2002.

1. Matt Probst

Matt Probst Member

Hi all!

Can anyone tell me what this is? The only things I really know are is that it is American Flyer, Bigger than O Gauge, and from possibly the late 20s or early 30s

Thanks as always for your expertise!

Matt--Hershey, Pa.

Attached Files:

2. Vic

Vic Active Member

Its a standard gague boxcab electric loco based loosely on NYC and Penn. prototypes. Looks like its in excellent condition. Where did you find that one? American Flyer, Lionel and Ives all made something similar.

Here's the green version circa 1927
    http://www.goldentrains.com/4644eagle.htm
  3. Matt Probst

Matt Probst Member

Hi Vic! thanks for your quick reply. I received 6 or 7 huge boxes crammed full of this kind of stuff. Dug it out of the dust and cobwebs of my parent's attic...Used to be my grandfather's stuff when he was alive.
    Alot of American Flyer and Lionel (Some still in the original boxes). Locos, rolling stock, track, electrical equipment, figures, vehicles etc. etc. etc.
    I have the feeling that I may need to get this stuff insured but don't know how to determine value yet. This will require a bit of research I think. I'm sure I'll be asking questions on The Gauge as well regarding this!:) :cool:

Matt--Hershey, Pa.
  4. Vic

Vic Active Member

Gosh and Golly Matt!!!...WHAT A FIND!!!!....Greenberg Publishing has price guides for all of those. You may be "sitting on a gold mine depending on what you have:D
  5. Matt Probst

Matt Probst Member

Here's another pic from the "boxes of gold"....

American Flyer tank car

Matt--Hershey, Pa.

Attached Files:

6. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Matt:
    You may want to wander over to Strasburg to the Train Collectors Association and look around there. They probably won't want to give values, but you may see more of the stuff and be able to look at some of the books there. Don't take your collection, just pictures and numbers.
    It's only about a day's mule ride from Hershey; there's a load of cabeese next door that you can stay in.
  7. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Matt - do a "search" for standard gauge on the net, and e-bay. They look to be in great shape to me!!

if you go to the Toy trai Museum bring LOTS of clearpics from every angle.. and definatly go on a weekday (closed Monday)

If you can call ahead...

~~ Mikey
    P.S. Cars usualy go for $100.00 Each, Engines go from 200.00 to 500.00. depending on a lot of things, Manuf., condition..... etc....
  8. Matt Probst

Matt Probst Member

Hi again folks...
    I'll probably be going down to Strasburg soon as you have suggested...It's only 40 minutes from my house..
    I need to get everything dusted and cleaned BIG TIME. Dried old mouse droppings don't do much for appraisal values I would think!! :eek: :D ;) . No plans of selling as this stuff would be passed on to my son as it has been for a couple generations in my family. (Would like to add it to insurance policy though.)

Here is the Lionel version of the AF boxcab electric in the 1st photo.

Matt--Hershey, Pa.

Attached Files:

9. Matt Probst

Matt Probst Member

Here is a Lionel O Scale engine and car; Part of the passenger set called "Flying Yankee". The set has 2 other passenger cars. As you can see, only 1 set of trucks per section as they hook together with a push button latch assembly that doubles as the diaphram between cars.

Matt--Hershey, Pa.

Attached Files:

10. Vic

Vic Active Member

Hi Matt, I think your insurance agent is gonna be glad to see you comming!!!:D Did a little research on the Flying Yankee...The lowest going price I could find was $550 and that set was only in just maybe fair condition.

Glad to hear its not your intent to dispose of those wonderful trains.

If you need some advice when you get ready to insure them send me a private e-mail and we can discuss your options. I have over 35 years experience in the field of property insurance and might can give you some tips that would allow you to get maximum coverage on them for the least amount of money....NO...I don't sell insurance or represent any insurance company, so fear not!!!:D :D :D
  11. pcentral

pcentral Member

Hi Matt,
    Congratulations on your new collection. I suggest you contact David Dansky, he is a collector/dealer of toy trains. David is one of the authorities on prewar Flyer and Lionel. He has a beautiful layout that showcases just that. David can give you actual values for each piece providing you send clear pics. If he can't, I am sure he can put you in contact with a reputably collector in your area. Let me warn you though, don't put too much stock in the values you have been given so far. No offense to anyone but I have seen and bought stuff for alot less then qouted. David may not tell you what you may want to here but it will be the true value. You can reach him at their website trainexchange.com/tth.htm or call him at (360)576-1602 between the hours of 9AM to 7PM west coast time. Whatever else you do, clean the trains up real good, get all the old grease and oil out of them, then put new oil and grease BEFORE you try to run them. If you do a little TLC on them they will last several more generations. If I can help you anymore just ask, I don't know prewar Flyer values but I am familiar with prewar Lionel. If I knew both I would offer to help value them for you. As for insurance, most companies don't have policies for trains specifically. On a Yahoo group I am a member of we had a discussion about this. The best coverage is from Collectibles Insurance Agency, they specialize in this sort of coverage and are very reasonable. You can reach them at www.collectinsure.com. Good luck and let us know what you find out. Most of all ENJOY THEM.
  12. Matt Probst

Matt Probst Member

not quite Preiser!

Hi folks!

Here's some of the little people I aquired. (My 4 yr. old can't understand why I'm not using them on my HO layout!)

Attached Files:

13. Matt Probst

Matt Probst Member

insurance

I didn't plan on obtaining insurance just for the collection alone, but wanted to add it to my renter's insurance. (I'm renting a rancher here in Hershey until I'm positive we'll be staying here permanently and can buy a house). But now y'all got me thinking of what's the best route to take:confused:

Matt
  14. Matt Probst

Matt Probst Member

Here's some more people!

(Hope I'm not boring you all to death, but I'm just a wee bit excited!):D

Matt--Hershey, Pa.

Attached Files:

15. Matt Probst

Matt Probst Member

3 cars and a light tower

Last image of the day: (I promise!!:rolleyes: )

I want to find out more on the metal cars here...they say "HUBLEY made in U.S.A." on the bottom.
    The wheels are some kind of hard, brittle plastic.

Attached Files:

16. Vic

Vic Active Member

Hi Matt, The Hubley metal cars are probably from the 30's judging from their design. The tires/wheels were not plastic but were a hard white rubber. That was their trademark. They were sold in toy stores and places like Woolworth's. They were still around when I was a child in the late 40's and 50's as I remember them. I've seen them for sale at antique shows. You should be able to find a great deal of information on them by doing a Google search on the internet as they are quite collectible. I also seem to recall that Hubley made a metal floor train set (non-electric).