What is the high hood for?

elwood

Jun 25, 2005
It's been a while since I have sen a high nose geep in person, but I have a couple on my layout. I've always wondered why some of the geeps were made with the high hood?

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
Depends on the railroad and era. Some used it for radio equipment, a steam generator, or dynamic braking. Norfolk & Western, Southern, and Norfolk Southern purchased high-nose units later than other because they believed they were safer for crews in a collision.

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
Siderod, you ever get a start on the 1/8 scale locomotive you was gonna build? Not sure if it was gonna be 71/4" or 71/2".Within the next year or so I am going to start a purchase of 4 Dash-9's from Mountain Car Company but they are going to cost more because of the custom add on's/options raising each one from $10,000 to about $12,000 each. Hopefully I can start a club down here in the south so those locomotives can pay for them selfs.

Hoghead

Jul 10, 2002
Eastern US
Visit site
There are still a few highnose GP38 engines in service. The ones I have seen are still owned by the NS but have been put into remote control yard service.