What is the best scanning DPI for 3-views?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by jlinscheid, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Gil

Gil Active Member

I usually have to draw my own if accuracy is the goal. I've spent an inordinate amount of time on several subjects and still have many more questions than answers (turns into an aircraft arhaeology doctoral thesis). No set of drawings will ever represent the aircraft as manufactured due to the fact that factory floor markups were, for the most part, never back annotated. You will find this out the first time you try a serious go at designing and find those wonderful looking prints just don't align well when framed orthographically.

One thing that makes for less criticism, though, is selecting a subject that no existing original exists, and whose pictures are at best fairly black with small patches of white for the purpose of some form recognition. Camouflaged subjects add additional points in this category.

Now to answer the question, I always scan at 300 to 400 dpi. It depends on whether and what type of half tone was used on the original and whether it needs to be captured faithfully. Hopefully you're dealing with line drawings. Any larger makes the files unwieldly and slow. Any lower and the images begin to show aliasing artifacts (the jaggies and ropies).

-Gil
  2. Gil

Gil Active Member

I usually have to draw my own if accuracy is the goal. I've spent an inordinate amount of time on several subjects and still have many more questions than answers (turns into an aircraft arhaeology doctoral thesis). No set of drawings will ever represent the aircraft as manufactured due to the fact that factory floor markups were, for the most part, never back annotated. You will find this out the first time you try a serious go at designing and find those wonderful looking prints just don't align well when framed orthographically.

One thing that makes for less criticism, though, is selecting a subject that no existing original exists, and whose pictures are at best fairly black with small patches of white for the purpose of some form recognition. Camouflaged subjects add additional points in this category.

Now to answer the question, I always scan at 300 to 400 dpi. It depends on whether and what type of half tone was used on the original and whether it needs to be captured faithfully. Hopefully you're dealing with line drawings. Any larger makes the files unwieldly and slow. Any lower and the images begin to show aliasing artifacts (the jaggies and ropies).

-Gil
  3. nx13688

nx13688 Member

During WWII, Wylam was often compelled to slightly sabotage his own drawings, as the military felt some of his work was a little *too* accurate for a civilian. His B-29 drawings, for example, show an almost straight leading edge on the fin!
    Your point is certainly valid. Just because a drawing looks nice doesn't make it accurate.
  4. nx13688

nx13688 Member

During WWII, Wylam was often compelled to slightly sabotage his own drawings, as the military felt some of his work was a little *too* accurate for a civilian. His B-29 drawings, for example, show an almost straight leading edge on the fin!
    Your point is certainly valid. Just because a drawing looks nice doesn't make it accurate.
  5. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Hmmm. Well, maybe. Doesn't explain all the pre-war stuff though, does it??!!

Tim P
  6. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Hmmm. Well, maybe. Doesn't explain all the pre-war stuff though, does it??!!

Tim P
  7. Gil

Gil Active Member

Tim,

Sounds as good an excuse as any for winging the details and completing the deadline...,

-Gil
  8. Gil

Gil Active Member

Tim,

Sounds as good an excuse as any for winging the details and completing the deadline...,

-Gil
  9. jlinscheid

jlinscheid Member

I have a related question about the Paul Matt drawings. It looks like they were commissioned for several different projects. Do the guys selling the compilations hold exclusive rights, or are those drawings in the public domain at this point? I can't remember what the exact criteria for that is.

My guess is that they are still protected, otherwise they would be more available on the Internet, but since they seem to have been commissioned for a number of projects unrelated to the current publisher, I thought I'd ask on the off-chance somebody has an answer.
  10. jlinscheid

jlinscheid Member

I have a related question about the Paul Matt drawings. It looks like they were commissioned for several different projects. Do the guys selling the compilations hold exclusive rights, or are those drawings in the public domain at this point? I can't remember what the exact criteria for that is.

My guess is that they are still protected, otherwise they would be more available on the Internet, but since they seem to have been commissioned for a number of projects unrelated to the current publisher, I thought I'd ask on the off-chance somebody has an answer.
  11. k5083

k5083 Member

With Wylam you have to bear in mind what reference materal (i.e. aircraft, factory assistance) he had handy for a given subject. He didn't have a lot of Bristol F.2bs or factory Bristol drawings handy. He did have that stuff for Stinsons. You want to do a Stinson, he's pretty reliable. (Which means you can be Reliant. Ouch. Sorry.)

For a lot of planes of that era there never were any good overall factory drawings, only physical jigs and detail drawings. Accurate 3-views weren't much use for building planes under then-current methods, so they weren't created. That was why if you built a type under license, you got toolings from the licensee, not paper.

That's also why surviving airframes are so historically important; there's sometimes no other way to know how the plane was built. But systematically measuring a surviving airframe to produce a good 3-view with cross sections is really not easy; in fact, I don't rate drawings produced that way any higher than ones produced from photos.
  12. k5083

k5083 Member

With Wylam you have to bear in mind what reference materal (i.e. aircraft, factory assistance) he had handy for a given subject. He didn't have a lot of Bristol F.2bs or factory Bristol drawings handy. He did have that stuff for Stinsons. You want to do a Stinson, he's pretty reliable. (Which means you can be Reliant. Ouch. Sorry.)

For a lot of planes of that era there never were any good overall factory drawings, only physical jigs and detail drawings. Accurate 3-views weren't much use for building planes under then-current methods, so they weren't created. That was why if you built a type under license, you got toolings from the licensee, not paper.

That's also why surviving airframes are so historically important; there's sometimes no other way to know how the plane was built. But systematically measuring a surviving airframe to produce a good 3-view with cross sections is really not easy; in fact, I don't rate drawings produced that way any higher than ones produced from photos.
  13. Gil

Gil Active Member

Wyalam drawing compilations are sold by Air Age Publications if I remember correctly. I believe that they own all rights to them. Check the lettering block on each print, Wylam Copyrighted all that he created for Air Age Inc. the pregenitor to Air Age Publications....,

Some of the other contributors didn't apply the Copyright mark to their prints but each is labeled Air Age Inc. so they're covered by rights of ownership.

-Gil
  14. Gil

Gil Active Member

Wyalam drawing compilations are sold by Air Age Publications if I remember correctly. I believe that they own all rights to them. Check the lettering block on each print, Wylam Copyrighted all that he created for Air Age Inc. the pregenitor to Air Age Publications....,

Some of the other contributors didn't apply the Copyright mark to their prints but each is labeled Air Age Inc. so they're covered by rights of ownership.

-Gil
  15. jlinscheid

jlinscheid Member

Yep, all copyright 1977 by Historical Aviation Album regardless of the commissioner. So it looks like I can put them up on the Internet in about 20 years :)
  16. jlinscheid

jlinscheid Member

Yep, all copyright 1977 by Historical Aviation Album regardless of the commissioner. So it looks like I can put them up on the Internet in about 20 years :)
  17. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Well, I haven't got a lot of original data or access to a Porsche 956. So I haven't prepared a set of 'drawings' of it, and I'm not taking money from a publisher to prepare a set. And so modelmakers in the future won't be led astray by trusting a set of lines on a page that purport to represent a Porsche 956.

Wylam should have stuck to Stinsons.

Tim P
  18. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Well, I haven't got a lot of original data or access to a Porsche 956. So I haven't prepared a set of 'drawings' of it, and I'm not taking money from a publisher to prepare a set. And so modelmakers in the future won't be led astray by trusting a set of lines on a page that purport to represent a Porsche 956.

Wylam should have stuck to Stinsons.

Tim P
  19. Willja67

Willja67 Member

In the vein of file types and all that, I just did some screen captures off a dvd that I have and the pictures are bitmaps. I need to know how to get them into rhino. This project seems similar to wunwinglows su-7 tutorial I want to do basically the same thing with these three views as he did. So what file format is best and I'll probably need help converting them to said format.
  20. Willja67

Willja67 Member

In the vein of file types and all that, I just did some screen captures off a dvd that I have and the pictures are bitmaps. I need to know how to get them into rhino. This project seems similar to wunwinglows su-7 tutorial I want to do basically the same thing with these three views as he did. So what file format is best and I'll probably need help converting them to said format.