What is Laser Cut?

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
laser cut means exactly what it says,laser cut.normally laser cut models are MUCH more detailed than plastic models.and most laser cut models of wood which is normally more expensive,laser cut or not.

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Christopher62: A "laser-cut" model is one where the cutting of the wood or other parts is done by an industrial laser rather than by a mechanical method, like stamping dies or saws. Typically laser-cut kits can be very precise and detailed, due to the highly controllable nature of computer-controlled laser cutters. They are also easier than other "craftsman" type kits, which often include plans with uncut pieces of wood to be cut at home by the hobbyist, and are thus both more precise and easier to build.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
While the definition of "laser cut" is good, I would suggest that the ease of assembly of laser cut kits is not automatically easier than other "craftsman" kits. Ease of assembly depends (no matter what the material) on good design of the kit/structure, rather than the way it was manufactured.

I assembled a backwoods engine shed that was laser cut, but in my opinion the design could have been better. Some aspects took full advantage of the laser precision (e.g. great windows), but others seemed poorly thought out (e.g. door detail cut right through, walls cut right through when battens would be glued over top anyway).

Andrew