What is it called?

hiscopilot

Dec 27, 2006
Spring Hill, TN
I know someone posted a thread on this not too long ago but I cant find it and I need to know what it is called and where I could find one...

Its a piece of track- 2 parallel pieces with an x of crossings between them- it looks like it would be made with 4 switch outs and a rossing in the middle.

If anyone can tell me what it is and even better where I can get one cheap in HO scale, I would be ever so grateful!

thanks!

nolatron

Nov 17, 2004
Katy, TX
railroad.sodh.net
A double crossover? Like this?

ka-20210.gif

That's the Kato unitrack version. A seach for "Double crossover" at interntrains.com will pull up 3 different brands/prices/code.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Before you give up, realise that to do the same thing in MORE space will still take 2 right and 2 left hand switches. When you price out 4 switches the price will be pretty close to that double crossover. The only other thing to keep in mind is that most commercial double crossovers have all 4 of the tracks as one common block. If you want to run one track in one direction, and the other in the other direction, you will need to separate them. On my first layout, I insulated all 8 rails coming in and out of the crossover to make it a separate block by itself. I then would switch the direction to match whatever train was approaching the crossover.

hiscopilot

Dec 27, 2006
Spring Hill, TN
right, those are all good points.

Maybe I am getting ahead of myself

But I do have enough track pieces in my stash to make that, I just might have to cut a few rails to do it. So, if I can figure the wiring out, I may do it. Ugh... all I wanted was to make a cool place for the diesels at the dock to run on (Salty, etc) LOL

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
The other advantage of two single crossovers is that they can form a runaround and/or passing track which can be quite useful, especially on smaller layouts with lots of action. ;) :D

Andrew